Lake Malawi Species • First cichlid tank stocking - 75 gallon

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: First cichlid tank stocking - 75 gallon

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:48 pm

Don't add fish until ammonia and nitrites are both zero for several days. If that is the case you can add them all at once. What is your nitrate test result?

You are not ending up with much blue?

The catfish should be Synodontis lucipinnis or multipunctatus...others might not work with the Africans or in groups of five.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby jasminaj » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:01 pm

I didn’t see your post since it went to the next page, sorry!

It turns out I’ve been battling ich since day 1. I believe the fish came with ich and since this was my initial stocking I didnt have a second tank to isolate them.

I started with using ParaGuard for about 10-14 days or so but lost two catfish in the process. I then switched to Meteoplex in the food (not in water), along with temperature of 86-87F plus gradual increase in aquarium salt to 2TBSP per 5 gallons. The metroplex is coming up three weeks, which is when I should stop using it according to directions. The temp/salt has been in place for 12 days or so.

The ich seemed under control for a few days aside from catfish occasional flashing but nothing visible on any of the fish. But now I think I see some white spots on a yellow lab. I definitely see flashing, mostly with catfish but also some of the cichlids. All fish are acting normal and eating. Water parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20.

Should I keep increasing the temp to 90, add more salt, all of the above or none of the above? Given that I have catfish, is there a particular medicine that is better tolerated by them and more effective than ParaGuard? I am not saying I lost the catfish to ParaGuard, maybe it was ich that killed them, but it also didn’t cure ich obviously.

Any help is appreciated, as always!
jasminaj

Postby DJRansome » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:20 pm

I would exclude the metroplex and just keep going with the salt and heat...no higher. It takes 3 weeks so you have done 12 days. See how things are after 3 weeks.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Lake Malawi Species