Lake Malawi Species • Many Cichlid Babies

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Many Cichlid Babies

Postby kswoods » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:21 pm

I have multiple female Aftican Cichlids holding babies. I have run out of breeding tanks.
I had a female spit hers yesterday. Today she is back eating. So I am thinking it is OK to move her back to the main tank.
What do you all think?

2nd Question. Do you think I can get away with putting another female who has to be REAL close to spitting in with the fry from the one above? till she spits?

Thanks
kswoods

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Many Cichlid Babies

Postby Old Newbie » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:26 pm

Question 1- Yes, she will eat her own fry.
Question 2- No, or at least I would not. I've seen females eat their own fry as soon as they are released.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
55g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Postby DJRansome » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:15 pm

Two choices. Don't save every clutch or get a bunch of fry tanks set up. 20G for newly spit, 55G for 1/2" fry mixed and 55G to grow them from one inch to two inches...then sell.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby kswoods » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:14 pm

Thanks Old Newbie and DJRansome. One other question. I have the 2nd female isolates in one of those large net breeding things. If she spits in there or I come up with the courage to try stripping the fry, should I be able to put the fry in with the fry from the first female? BTW They are both from the same tank with the same species. The fry would only be 3 days apart. Thanks again
kswoods

Postby DJRansome » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:20 pm

You would want to strip her within 3 days of the other fry. I would not leave the female in a breeder net. If she has been holding 18 days I would strip her into the breeder box and put her back. Then move the breeder box to the fry tank, but keep the new ones there for a week. Then see what happens if you mix them.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species