Lake Malawi Species • Fry control

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Fry control

Postby Ralph493 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:07 am

I have too many fry in my mbuna tanks. Particularly Saulosi and White Labs. Could I remove all my river rock and just keep a few large rocks so that fry don't have places to hide? Do mbunas have to have rocks? I know they are rock fish. I have no local fish stores to take fry and looking at ways to control numbers.
:fish:
Ralph493

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Fry control

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:45 pm

Remove the small rocks. Keep them stacked up high, but make crevices large. I would not remove all rocks.

Add Synodontis multipunctatus group of 5 assuming it is a 55G or larger.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Ralph493 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:56 pm

DJRansome wrote:Remove the small rocks. Keep them stacked up high, but make crevices large. I would not remove all rocks.

Add Synodontis multipunctatus group of 5 assuming it is a 55G or larger.

The tanks are 55 gallon. Was thinking of three or four larger rocks place along length of tank. Don't the multipunctarus get pretty big?
Ralph493

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:29 pm

They get six inches or so but will handle your fry. I would not do large rocks separated along the tank. That would be more like a hap/peacock aquascape.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby jcover » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:43 pm

I've only ever had 1 cichlid fry survive a tank with Synodontis multi's in it.

On the other hand... I've had several bristlenose pleco fry survive in my tank.....
jcover

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:49 pm

Sorry I omitted a KEY word "not" above, see edit. Keep stacked rocks in a mbuna tank.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Ralph493 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:58 pm

DJRansome wrote:Sorry I omitted a KEY word "not" above, see edit. Keep stacked rocks in a mbuna tank.

Thanks,DJ, you've never led me astray. :thumb:
Ralph493

Postby stallion811 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:05 pm

Syno Multi's are perfect hunters. Best in groups of 5 or more. Besides it could take a decade for them to hit 6" in an aquarium....most wont hit that unless in a huge tank. But if you are worried about the bio load, you do have other options. I've kept both Syno Angelicus and Granulosus sucessfully in Malawi tanks. Angelicus while mostly shy...will hunt at night. They tend to get bigger at around 8", but it takes years. As for Granulosus....compare them to the Multi's. They get a bit bigger, and are more self sufficient. They dont always do good in groups....but they hunt and swim.

I'm a former breeder of Synodontis Multipunctatus, and currently growing a group to breed again....So I'm biased. One of the coolest cats you will ever find on the planet. But I'm also a Synodontis fan in general. I've probably owned more types then most have numbers. If your looking for a single cat to eat fry, look into a Angelicus or Granulosus. You wont be disappointed.....especially with the Granulosus.....Coolest cat on the planet IMO.
stallion811

Return to Lake Malawi Species