Lake Malawi Species • Adding more fish to two existing tanks

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Adding more fish to two existing tanks

Postby Chili_girl » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:05 pm

I'm trying to decide on a good fourth species with Yellow Labs, M. Cobalts and Acei yellow tail on a 75g 4' tank. Maybe M. hajomaylandi Chizumulu, M. sp. "Red Top Gallireya" or something else preferably without drab females. Would Rusties be the only good choice for this tank?

In the other tank I have M. estherae, Chewere elongatus, Maingano, Permutts, Jalo Reef and one Williamsi blue lip in a 125g 6' tank. I was planning on beefing up the numbers of the existing fish I have now. Just trying to figure out what new ones I can add. Or if I even should. I was thinking of a yellow fish that would work such as M. hajomaylandi Chizumulu (pretty females) or zebra gold Kawanga (but have drab females), Snow White Socolofi, not too similar to what I have. Any suggestions?

I bought two of Ad Konings books but there are so many fish and some are not available to the consumer. Besides that some fish are being reclassified. It's not that easy to get fish combinations that work that don't crossbreed and dilute the pure breeds and that also get along.
75g Mbuna
125g Mbuna
45g Brevis and Julies regani
Chili_girl

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Adding more fish to two existing tanks

Postby DJRansome » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:01 am

Better to search the vendor lists rather than every fish in the Lake that is in Ad Konings books.

For the 125G you already have 5 species which is the number I like in that size tank, along with the single Williamsi. I agree with your original idea to add females to what you have.

For the 75G you already have Metriaclima callainos (cobalts) so I would avoid other Metriaclima. Hajomaylandi does have drab females.

I would swap the acei into the 125G to give you more blue with colorful females. And swap the Jalo Reef into the 75G to separate the 2 blue barred species you have in the 125G as well as give you a blue barred fish in the 75G.

Finally, maybe stock the Williamsi with 1m:4f in the 75G rather than the 125G.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: Adding more fish to two existing tanks

Postby DJRansome » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:07 am

You could also do saulosi in the 75G for the fourth species and get both yellow orange and blue barred fish.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species