Lake Malawi Species • Another stocking question??

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Another stocking question??

Postby joshk707 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:18 pm

hello all,

first off thank you all in advance for the wealth of knowledge everyone provides here. i am new to the world of Cichlids and have finally completed a fishless cycle in my 75 gal. 48x20 aquarium. I bought my first batch of fish on black Friday from my LFS as they had a killer deal. anyways I have been trying to research as much as i can as far as compatability in the tank. I guess my question is how do I know where to go from here. I currently have 5 cichlids i believe all peacocks? and 1 synodontis decoris. I would like to know the sex and species of what i already have but more importantly going forward want to add only what will work together.

any help and or advice would be great and thanks in advance.
20191202_125121.jpg

20191202_125134.jpg

20191202_125149.jpg

20191202_130314.jpg
joshk707

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Another stocking question??

Postby Deeda » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:24 pm

Hi Josh and Welcome to C-F!!

Did you happen to write down the scientific name of your fish?

How large are the fish? It's difficult to tell from the pics.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby joshk707 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:31 pm

yea I didn't write anything down I guess i was too excited, (eye roll) there all about 1.5 inches long. from memory, I remember the LFS told me the orange and black spotted was an OB, and the orange/red one was a dragons blood peacock, does that sound right? the orange and deep blue one do have visible egg spots on their anal fins so i'm guessing they are males but i don't see those spots on any of the other ones. and sorry for the pictures they are hard to capture good pictures of lol
joshk707

Postby Deeda » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:47 pm

Well if you get a chance, stop back at the store and see if you can find similar looking ones and write the names down or tank a pic of the label. I do understand the excitement!

The orange and black spotted does look like an OB peacock and the orange/red a dragons blood peacock.

Egg spots are not a guarantee of male so don't count on that to identify. The fish are still small at 1.5" to determine sex.

Take a pic of a full tank shot so we can see how you've decorated the tank and maybe we can offer some hints. A video may also be helpful though you would need to post it to youtube so we can view it, no hurry.

What are your long term plans with this tank? That is, all male, colorful, breeding, etc.

Cichlids are definitely a different learning curve from the usual tropical fish so be prepared for some fiddling with your fish stocking as aggression develops. There are some great beginner articles in the C-F Library tab at the top of the page under the header.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby joshk707 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:41 pm

yea I guess I will have to go back this weekend and do some investigating. and good to know n those egg spots I was under the impression that was a pretty sure tell sign of sex.
as far as my plans for the tank I definitely want an abundance of color but also want to experience the breeding process as well. This tank is an upgrade from a 38 gallon bowfront that decided to spring a leak and completely empty overnight while everyone was asleep. :roll: I lost 75 percent of my stock, among them were my 2 favorite (angels). So seeing as i had to start over anyways I decided to go a whole different way and decided on Cichlids. btw i'm definitely loving all of the personality these fish have.
anyways here's a link to a small video of the tank and a overall picture.
20191203_105919.jpg

hear's a link to the video:
https://youtu.be/TCRFXPYxw4E
joshk707

Postby DJRansome » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:22 pm

In general you need to choose between a large variety of colors and breeding.

For a large variety of colors you are generally looking at an all-male tank.

If you want to breed peacocks, you would choose one species per tank since they cross breed. And female peacocks are drab, so you would get the one colored male and 4 drab females.

You could choose haps for your other species...just limit to one species of peacock if you are going to breed.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species