Lake Malawi Species • Getting back in

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Getting back in

Postby stallion811 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:40 am

Getting back in to cichlids after about 10 years off. This thread is basically a timeline for me to keep track of stock levels and amount of tanks.

My wife has kept Bettas the entire time away. When her last betta died she got colored neon tetras(dyed?) and corys for a 20G she had running. I said fine as long as she took care of it. Alot more fish then just one betta, tank kinda got away from her. So I found a deal on a established 75G and 2- new 40G breeders. Time to get back into cichlids and Synodontis.

I got the 75 going with the FX4 and sponge filter that came with the deal, purchased a penguin 350 and used the media from our penguin 200 from the 20G. I've owned a few Mbuna before, but mainly had peacock, haps, and frontosa. I used to breed Syno Multipunctatus, and that is my future goal again. But for a display tank I figure I would try "mainly" Mbuna.

Tank has been stocked since the beginning of August. I've removed a few fish and had a few casualties, but its quite settled now. I'm totally overstocked at the bottom, but these are growing out to go to a breeding tank. I've got a few oddballs as well. Stock is as follows
6 LABIDOCHROMIS CAERULEUS
4 MAISON REEF
3 WHITE TOP AFRA
5 JALO REEF
2 LABIDOCHROMIS HONGI(swedish)
1 NEO BRICHARDI
1 RED EMPRESS
1 PHENO MDOKA
9 SYNO MULTIS
1 SYNO ANGELICUS
1 BRISTLENOSE PLECO

I've also fired up one of the 40 breeders to grow cats out and temporary holding for aggressors and extra males for rehoming. That tank has
7 SYNO PETRICOLA
3 SYNO GRANULOSUS
1 LAB CAERULEUS
1 PSEUDO SOCOFOLI
1 ACIE(yellow tail)
1 Appears to be some hybrid TEXTILIOUS(cool fish)

I might get a 5' 100G tank this coming week
stallion811

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Getting back in

Postby DJRansome » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:56 pm

Welcome to Cichlid-forum!
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator