Lake Malawi Species • 72G All Male feedback...please

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

72G All Male feedback...please

Postby Riggs503 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:12 am

I know, I know...yet another stock list feedback. Bare with me please. About 7 years ago I had a 54g corner tank with a couple peacocks and haps in it. Yes, very small and most fish were rehomed. Now I'm back with a 72g bow that's set up and currently cycling. Fingers crossed for fish ready, next week. Anyway, I'm fortunate to have a great cichlid heavy LFS with all of the below fish in stock. these are all juveniles so sexing will be more luck here. I tried to compile my list after researching and reading threads, but would like some more sets of eyes on my future purchasing. Tank is pretty bare with about 4 decent sized rocks in it to allow for more open swimming. Here's my list:

Otopharynx tetrastigma
copadichromis trewavasae
copadichromis azureus
Mylochromis ericotaenia
Copadichromis borleyi “Red Fin”
Placidochromis sp. Jalo
Aulonocara. Sp. Maulana Bicolor
Aulonocara Rubin Red
Aulonocara LWanda"
Aulonocara baenschi
Aulonocara hueseri “Midnight”
Aulonocara stuartgranti "Mdoka"
Aulonocara stuartgranti usisya

Any glaring conflicts here as for aggression, size or color conflicts? I'd like more red and yellow in the mix...I"ve read a lot on this forum where folks are Leary of the Dragon Blood. peacocks. Do you think I could throw one in this mix with 14 fish? Your thoughts are much appreciated. Thank you!
Riggs503

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 72G All Male feedback...please

Postby jcover » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:45 am

To me it seems like a lot of fish for a 4 foot tank. A few of the fish you selected seem to me to get too large or are too active for a smaller tank (specifically the borleyi). I would stick to fish that stay less than 6" for a tank this size.
jcover

Postby Riggs503 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:25 am

jcover wrote:To me it seems like a lot of fish for a 4 foot tank. A few of the fish you selected seem to me to get too large or are too active for a smaller tank (specifically the borleyi). I would stick to fish that stay less than 6" for a tank this size.

I'm not too worried about the number of fish as 12-15 is what's usually recommended for tank size. Which ones do you think will get too big? The borleyi is one of the bigger ones, I agree, but it's not too large as they may exceed 6" at full maturity. Let's say it grows to 7", do you think that'll be an issue down the road?
Riggs503

Postby DJRansome » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:06 am

This is a 72G bowfront and not a 75G rectangle. The sides of the tank are 12". Stock it like a 55G rectangle. For all-male this is usually 8-10 fish that mature under 6".

My borleyi easily get 8 inches and that is a big bulky fish. I need a special net for them. I don't like them in a tank smaller than 72" long.

IME it helps if you choose an overall theme as to whether you want timid or confident haps and peacocks. I love the mylochromis, but he was too feisty to allow my more timid haps and peacocks to color well. Also look for fish that look alike...example is the Jalo and the mylochromis.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Riggs503 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:26 pm

DJRansome wrote:This is a 72G bowfront and not a 75G rectangle. The sides of the tank are 12". Stock it like a 55G rectangle. For all-male this is usually 8-10 fish that mature under 6".

My borleyi easily get 8 inches and that is a big bulky fish. I need a special net for them. I don't like them in a tank smaller than 72" long.

IME it helps if you choose an overall theme as to whether you want timid or confident haps and peacocks. I love the mylochromis, but he was too feisty to allow my more timid haps and peacocks to color well. Also look for fish that look alike...example is the Jalo and the mylochromis.

Thanks DJRansome for the feedback. Your posts are what I've been trying to model after, but somewhere along the line I may have been confused with 72" vs 72g...hahaha. I thought I was okay with the 18" width on the bow, but I obviously overlooked that's the width in the middle...not the ends. 12" would be tight for larger fish to maneuver at the ends.

I'm going for a more timid tank. this may be an easy call then...ditch the two larger/more aggressive haps(borleyi & mylochromis). My numbers would be around 10 then, too. With the remaining fish, is there any standout as an aggressor? What do you think about adding a Taiwan Reef to the mix? Too big? Too aggressive?

Lastly, I'd be buying juvies, so size will not be in play for a while. Would I be okay in picking up a few more up front, knowing that I'd lose some thru aggression and sexing? I did pick up a 10g timeout tank and will set that up soon after the main tank is seeded.
Riggs503

Postby DJRansome » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:39 pm

The usual all male has a lot of tinkering over the first 2 years...if you buy juveniles it will be almost endless.

Taiwan Reef yes too big and too confident.

Other "confident" haps and peacocks to avoid are hybrids like dragonblood, jacobfreibergi like lwanda, and I can't remember about the hueseri.

The size of the tank does not correspond to the size of the fish, it corresponds to the aggression level. As soon as your fish start to color (a.k.a. as soon as you can guess whether they are male) maybe around the 2.5 inch mark, you want to provide the territory space for each individual they need.

With any all male tank you want extra tanks and a rehoming plan from day one.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Riggs503 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:04 pm

DJRansome wrote:The usual all male has a lot of tinkering over the first 2 years...if you buy juveniles it will be almost endless.

Taiwan Reef yes too big and too confident.

Other "confident" haps and peacocks to avoid are hybrids like dragonblood, jacobfreibergi like lwanda, and I can't remember about the hueseri.

The size of the tank does not correspond to the size of the fish, it corresponds to the aggression level. As soon as your fish start to color (a.k.a. as soon as you can guess whether they are male) maybe around the 2.5 inch mark, you want to provide the territory space for each individual they need.

With any all male tank you want extra tanks and a rehoming plan from day one.

okay, Lwanda and Taiwan Reef are out of the equation for my plans for a timid peacock/hap tank. I see folks side step the aggression by overstocking, is that something that you've ever done? If someone where to go that route in a 72G tank, would they push the fish count to around 20?

my extra tank will be using a foam filter that will begin being seeded from my main tank. I'll be ready. What's your thoughts on the revised list below:

Otopharynx tetrastigma
copadichromis trewavasae
copadichromis azureus
Placidochromis sp. Jalo
Aulonocara. Sp. Maulana Bicolor
Aulonocara Rubin Red
Aulonocara baenschi
Aulonocara hueseri “Midnight”
Aulonocara stuartgranti "Mdoka"
Aulonocara stuartgranti usisya

For a 72 G tank, should I swap out the Copaidchromis Azureus for a Aulonocara hansbaenschi “Cobue”? The Azureus can grow up to 7", so I could avoid the future size issue and swamp in another vibrant blue peacock. The Cobue is related to the Red Shoulder which I keep reading can be an #%$&. Not sure if that trait is across the hansbaenschi board or. not. Lastly, I've seen. comments about the kandeense “Blue Orchid” being a real wimp. Even in my proposed tank would he be too timid?
Riggs503

Postby DJRansome » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:46 pm

Kandeense is better is a species only tank.

The azureus might work and you already have a lot of blue peacocks (one blue peacock/tank works...additional blue peacocks are more risky).

Yes you can stuff the tank so the fish cannot think beyond how do I get out of everyone's way. To me that looks like the goldfish feeder tank and I like to see a little more natural behavior (as limited as that may be in a glass box full of just males).

10 males in a 48x12 tank is overstocked already...just enough to manage aggression and as little as necessary to allow the fish a less stressful experience. We are going for thrive as opposed to survive.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Riggs503 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:17 pm

DJRansome wrote:Kandeense is better is a species only tank.

The azureus might work and you already have a lot of blue peacocks (one blue peacock/tank works...additional blue peacocks are more risky).

Yes you can stuff the tank so the fish cannot think beyond how do I get out of everyone's way. To me that looks like the goldfish feeder tank and I like to see a little more natural behavior (as limited as that may be in a glass box full of just males).

10 males in a 48x12 tank is overstocked already...just enough to manage aggression and as little as necessary to allow the fish a less stressful experience. We are going for thrive as opposed to survive.

Thank you for such great responses. not only to me, but across the forum. Very helpful.
Riggs503

Postby Riggs503 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:46 pm

One more question...if I added one or two of the more peaceful Mbuna species in the mix; yellow labs and Acei, how many of each? I see it posted where a trio is recommended. Is there issues with just doing one of each?
Riggs503

Postby Riggs503 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:03 pm

Another question regarding initial stocking of juveniles vs. 3-4" sexed males. Seems that there may be some sales going on for Black Friday where some larger males may make sense for me to purchase. What's anyones experience in stocking 4-6 larger males and another 5-6 juveniles? Will the. larger males dominate the juveniles to death or not see them as a threat yet and leave them for the most part alone?
Riggs503

Postby DJRansome » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:52 pm

They will not kill each other, unless one of the unsexed juveniles turns out to be a female in which case they will.

I have done all adult males and one group of unsexed juveniles.

If you add 2 fish you remove 2 fish. I would not do acei in a 48x12 in any case.

You could grow out each species of peacock in a separate tank. Like a 10G Long. And probably mix a couple of species of haps to grow out in a separate tank. But for 3 species of haps you would want another 55G sized tank.

You could start out intentionally with a mixed gender 3-species tank (1 species of peacock however) and in a year remove females and have 3 males to start with. Then add other adult males.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species