Lake Malawi Species • Best way to grow Mbuna out?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Best way to grow Mbuna out?

Postby chazeltine » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:54 pm

I bought ten 1" juveniles to add to my 55 once they growout, they're in a 29 now. What foods should be used/any other methods for growing them the fastest and healthiest?
chazeltine

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Best way to grow Mbuna out?

Postby jcover » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:03 am

This is what I would do: Feed them high quality food, New Life Spectrum or North Fin. Do water changes 2 times a week, if showing signs of ammonia build up. Keep temperature at 80 degrees F. No substrate in 29 gallon.

In a 29, these fish may run into aggression issues when they put on some size. What size are you attempting to grow them out to?
jcover

Postby noki » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:10 am

You shouldn't think that you should force them to grow fast, if they are healthy they will grow. Clean water is the "trick", make % water changes often.
noki

Postby chazeltine » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:14 am

Okay the tank hovers around 80-81 degrees. I'm feeding a mix of Hikari cichlid gold and their other food for younger fish (I can't remember the name). I have been doing 2-3 water changes a week, mostly to suck up all the gunk off the bottom (which is bare). I just have some cichlid caves laid out on the bottom and am using a sponge filter.

I would like to get them around 2.5-3 inches collectively so I can add them all to the main tank at once, or at least 5 at once, then restock the 29 with more juveniles to grow out. The fish in the 55 is a 5 inch female albino cobalt blue zebra (I believe), a male 3" red zebra (Tank boss), a 2.5 inch Red Zebra Blotch male, and a 2.5" Kenyi female.

I know the stocking is wonky at the moment but that's why I am trying to grow these juveniles out quicker so I can cool the tank boss and spread out aggression.
chazeltine

Postby chazeltine » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:15 am

noki wrote:You shouldn't think that you should force them to grow fast, if they are healthy they will grow. Clean water is the "trick", make % water changes often.

Not that I'm trying to force them to grow, but more like trying to grow them the best way possible.
chazeltine

Postby DJRansome » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:35 am

I agree that low toxins (such as nitrate) will help the fish grow faster than any other factor. However, I think the end goal you have stated may be unrealistic.

You have 4 species in a 55G and all are Metriaclima. Also you have mixed genders.

Ideal for a 55G mixed gender would be 3 species and in general you want 3 different species, each from a different genus. So one Metriaclima species/tank.

I would not do kenyi in a 55G at all, check into a 75G or larger (48" x 18" rectangle) for the kenyi.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species