Lake Malawi Species • 92 gallon corner Mbuna stocking

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

92 gallon corner Mbuna stocking

Postby smdntn » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:52 am

Hi all

I have a Juwel Trigon 350 (92 gallon) corner bow front tank. It’s dimensions are:

123cm/48inch at its widest point (across front)
87cm/34inch along the sides
65cm/25inch tall

The tank has a sump which works great and adds roughly another 23 gallon volume to the tank.

My question is around stocking, as I recognise a corner shouldn’t be treated the same as a rectangular and Mbuna typically need the length of tank for swimming space. I’m starting to see this as a couple of my fish are beginning to show signs of aggression and others have difficulty sometimes in getting far enough away. My current stocking is:

5 yellow labs (I think 2m and 3f)
6 Rusty cichlids
2 yellow tail acei (1m, 1f)
2 what I think are M. zebra, or could be hongi (1m, 1f)
6 small juvie maingano

So I’m at 22 fish total. The Male acei is getting to be the largest in the tank, and whilst he’s bred with the female before (and we have a fry tank with the babies), she doesn’t seem to be having any of it at the moment and he’s getting aggressive. Not just to her but other species. One of the yellow labs and one of the rustys are both looking very beaten up.

Just want to hear some thoughts on stocking for this kind of tank and some advice on what would be best. I don’t know whether it’s better to cut down to 2 species and increase their numbers? Just some advice on how to approach this would be appreciated!
smdntn

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 92 gallon corner Mbuna stocking

Postby ironspider » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:58 am

I have a very similar stocking in a much smaller 55g. I was able to lessen aggression by moving around the rocks, some are still aggressive but it certainly diminished for a little while. I change up the placement of the rocks every few months.
ironspider

Postby DJRansome » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:42 am

It's the fact that the length of the corner tank is 34". Think of it as half a 34" cube as opposed to a 48" long tank (measured diagonally).

Also too many males, not enough females. I'd remove any singles and pairs, and you may need to rehome the maingano as they mature.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby smdntn » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:51 am

ironspider wrote:I have a very similar stocking in a much smaller 55g. I was able to lessen aggression by moving around the rocks, some are still aggressive but it certainly diminished for a little while. I change up the placement of the rocks every few months.

Thanks. I rescaped the rocks recently and they have obviously taken to it a bit too well with forming territories.

DJRansome wrote:It's the fact that the length of the corner tank is 34". Think of it as half a 34" cube as opposed to a 48" long tank (measured diagonally).

Also too many males, not enough females. I'd remove any singles and pairs, and you may need to rehome the maingano as they mature.

Thanks. That’s helpful for me to think about it like that. A quick search of Mbuna in a 3ft long tank shows some cautious results. Think I’ll have to have a rethink. I think I’m limited to 1 or 2 species with a maximum of 1 male for each. I think I got a little overexcited, with it being the largest tank I’ve owned, thinking that I’d be able to house almost anything. But the surface area really isn’t there for a corner tank.

What are the kind of ratios I should be looking at? 1 Male, 3 female? 1m/4f maybe?
smdntn

Postby DJRansome » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:30 pm

I would probably do a species tank with 3m:12f saulosi and see how it goes.

Or your labs and rusties might work with 1m:4f of each. Only because they are on the more peaceful end of the spectrum for mbuna. Maingano? No.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species