Lake Malawi Species • mbuna mystery

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

mbuna mystery

Postby jed clampett » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:01 pm

Newly stocked 75 with C. hara, L. Perlmutt, I. springerae, and M. msosbo (6 each). Everybody seems to be doing fine except the perlmutts are slowly dying or being killed off. Seems like there is another one missing every morning at feeding time. Down to 2 now. Suspects?
jed clampett

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: mbuna mystery

Postby DJRansome » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:48 pm

How many days have you had them? Are they juveniles or adults? What are your test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby jed clampett » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:38 pm

Had them 10 days.
Juveniles of varying sizes: Hara- large; perlmutts and rusties- medium; msobo- small
pH- 8
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 20
jed clampett

Postby DJRansome » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:22 pm

Are the perlmutts lurking under the surface or behind filter intakes or heaters?

Do they have sunken bellies?

I would do a 50% water change in any case.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby jed clampett » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:42 am

Did the 50% water change yesterday. No sunken bellies. They are definitely trying to keep a low profile. I think maybe the haras are bullying them.
jed clampett

Postby noki » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:12 am

They are probably dying off because they are sick, or are less healthy and stressed by poor conditions. You just have to figure out what is wrong. Did you notice that the Perlmutts came out and ate normally?

It is unlikely that this is a murder mystery, juveniles are not that violent. There is no particular reason for the Haras to selectively bully the Perlmutt. Fighting does not happen for no reason, larger fish do not pick on smaller fish just to be mean, the smaller fish are of no threat, fish are not like humans. Most fish may pick on sickly fish that might be near death so they can eat them, something humans hopefully do not do.
noki

Postby DJRansome » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:18 pm

noki wrote:They are probably dying off because they are sick, or are less healthy and stressed by poor conditions. You just have to figure out what is wrong. Did you notice that the Perlmutts came out and ate normally?

It is unlikely that this is a murder mystery, juveniles are not that violent. There is no particular reason for the Haras to selectively bully the Perlmutt. Fighting does not happen for no reason, larger fish do not pick on smaller fish just to be mean, the smaller fish are of no threat, fish are not like humans. Most fish may pick on sickly fish that might be near death so they can eat them, something humans hopefully do not do.
Plus one.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby jed clampett » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:41 pm

noki wrote:They are probably dying off because they are sick, or are less healthy and stressed by poor conditions. You just have to figure out what is wrong. Did you notice that the Perlmutts came out and ate normally?

They were not coming out and eating eagerly like all the other fish.

They are supposed to be F1's. I wonder if this could be a factor. Perhaps more sensitive to tank conditions?
jed clampett

Postby DJRansome » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:02 pm

I have not found that to be the case with F1s.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby jed clampett » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:09 pm

Only 2 left now. One is hovering near the out-take pipe. Looking a little wobbly. the other still seems ok. If the rest die off I'll still be left with hara, msobo, and rusty mix which I would be fine with. But should I be worrying about the healthy fish if this is some kind of disease? As of now the other species are all active, healthy and eating well.
jed clampett

Postby DJRansome » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:39 pm

If you can isolate them, try that. Observe closely, but you can't really treat the tank since there are no symptoms to diagnose. Medication can do more harm than good if it is for the wrong illness.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species