Lake Malawi Species • 40 gallon breeder saulosi and tankmates?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

40 gallon breeder saulosi and tankmates?

Postby Lloydminster » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:14 am

I have a 40 gallon breeder with 7 saulosi ( 5f, 2m) I plan to add a single bnp. My question is what if anything else can/should I add? i wouldn't mind making this a species only tank but other saulosi are hard to find here so i'd be game for a secondary species of dwarf mbuna. I would love a single peacock/hap that would stand out from the saulosi but I'm not sure if that size tank would be ok for a single specimen, and then there are compatibility issues and dietary issues to boot, any thoughts?
Lloydminster

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 40 gallon breeder saulosi and tankmates?

Postby DJRansome » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:49 am

It's a small tank for Malawi to begin with and saulosi are not well known to be compatible with peacocks or haps. I would add 1m:4f saulosi at the same time as you add the bnp. You don't want to add a single fish to an established tank.

The idea of 12 mbuna in a 36" tank is pretty unique to saulosi.

If you wanted a hap or peacock, you could swap the saulosi for 1m:4f yellow labs, but you get more fish overall with the saulosi stocking.

What about a single colorful mbuna female? A white lab?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: 40 gallon breeder saulosi and tankmates?

Postby Zoolander » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:37 pm

I kept a colony of Saulosi in a 29g tank a number of years ago, and they did great by themselves. When they were juveniles they did fine with tankmates. However, once the males reach sexual maturity, they can be quite gregarious (rude) to other males and really anything that is alive in the tank.

You’re going to get a lot of color diversity with just the Saulosi, as you’ll have females that go from deep yellow to orange with barring, as well as males that morph from yellow to deep blue with black barring.

I’d agree with DJ that you should stick with one male and all the females you have (side note: some of those could be males if it’s a younger group). I wouldn’t do tank mates. That harem will breed if you have good parameters and then you’ll have more than you need.

Edit: grammar
Zoolander

Return to Lake Malawi Species