Lake Malawi Species • One more blues fish

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

One more blues fish

Postby Ice Man » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:23 pm

Got my new tank went 60x18 and have decided on Male hap peacock ( Mbuna) . Got most of my fish but feel another blue would balance it out nicely so looking for some help and suggestions please

Current stock is:
Lwanda
Freyri
Blue neon
Cobue
Maleri
Taiwan reef
Jake
4 x yellow lab

Some initial thoughts but would welcome suggestions and opinions on these fish below. For a long time I had been after a Lwanda finally got one but it’s not my favourite fish in my tank, the Cobue I have is amazing and conversely pictures don’t seem to do this fish justice whereas there are plenty of amazing looking Lwanda pictures out there (I know it’s down to lighting and no doubt a bit of photo shop on occasion ) Cobue was never on my radar let alone list.

Based on what I know I can get and have previously featured on my potential list:

Aulonocara Konningsi Mbenji - do these get quite yellow in the body, will it be similar to the Taiwan reef

Aulonocara Hansbaenschi - will this work with Cobue ( a bit more red would be good and like this option if it would work plus I can get hold of this from the same supplier as some of my other fish.

Aulonocara Maulana- I like this fish but worried it is too similar to the Lwanda plus already have quite a bit of yellow

Otopharynx Lithobates Zimbawe Rock - is it blue enough and again quite a bit of yellow

But ideas welcome. Thanks
Ice Man

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: One more blues fish

Postby noki » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:41 pm

You already have a lot of blue, but a Copidichromis azureus would add you some royal blue from another genus. Fryeri and Cobue are also deep blue. Red Empress can add some real red and isn't too close to the Taiwan. Since males are so similar you want fish that are not real closely related.

You have a lot of Aulonocara already, so they will compete with each other. I don't see any real problem with adding Maulana, which is gold and lighter blue. Red Shoulder is very closely related to Cobue, I would pick one of the two. Lwanda would probably be worried most about the Jake and Maleri. Lwanda is usually a pretty dark fish, they are cool but are not always bright.

Zimbawe Rock probably will not color up very blue in this tank, the Fryeri might be dominant. Suppose it doesn't hurt to try.
noki

Postby james1983 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:44 pm

Placidochromis electra?
james1983

Postby DJRansome » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:33 pm

I was going to say electra as well.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Ice Man » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:29 pm

I like the Copadichromis Azureus idea, could be an option.

I do like electra’s, how blue are they? whenever I have seen them they have been pale, and searches seem pretty inconclusive with some pictures and videos showing a nice blue fish although clearly under blue lighting. The supplier I use has the black face variant,

Thanks
Ice Man

Postby DJRansome » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:24 pm

You have a lot of aggressive jacobfreibergi peacocks, so I would think a timid hap like the Otopharynx would not color up well. Also with the fryeri in the tank the Otopharynx might not color up well.

The electra is mid blue, but it has the nice variation of the bars.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby noki » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:05 pm

Electra is not a shiny blue, but a flat light blue, and the colour is not that dependent on pecking order. You already have lots shiny blue, but the Electra is a good contrast as it is from a different genus, has a different base pattern, and has a different shade of blue. Different is good for the mix.
noki

Postby Ice Man » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:19 am

Thanks guys, coming round to the Electra idea a different hue would be good and the shape a bit more variety
Ice Man

Postby Ice Man » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:40 am

I have now realised I may have come to this from the wrong way, it wasn’t a case of needing more blue but more having too much yellow. The Maleri was being boisterous and was boss but not so much that it was a problem, but it was causing my blue neon to colour down. Since taking the Maleri out the blue neon has regained his colour overnight.

The Maleri will be going, he is nice but the yellow labs have him beat for colour, plus with them being so bright it enhances the blues in the tank. I also prefer the blue neon.

I think the Electra still fits the bill being a light colour, space for another? Not sure what though.

If it makes a difference my fyeri is an iceberg and has quite a deep white blaze, from the level of his eye up.
Ice Man

Postby DJRansome » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:00 am

I am surprised the blue neon is coloring up with the other jakes in the tank.

What about a bunch of Pseudotropheus acei?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Ice Man » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:12 pm

I do still have a Male and female itungi acei as hadn’t fully committed to getting rid of them so could start a new group.
Ice Man

Return to Lake Malawi Species