Lake Malawi Species • 75 gallon mbuna tank filtration question

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

75 gallon mbuna tank filtration question

Postby jed clampett » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:59 am

I'm currently running an Eheim Pro 4+ 600 on my 75 gallon mbuna tank. I figure that should be giving me about a 4X/hour turnover rate. In the past I've used an AC 110 in addition to that but don't want to deal with the noise this time around. Trying to decide the best options (economically & qualitatively) to complement the Eheim. Suggestions?

Dan
jed clampett

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 75 gallon mbuna tank filtration question

Postby DJRansome » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 am

A second canister with at least 4X turnover, but up to 6X turnover.

Or some people like power heads that just circulate the water without filtration to get the turnover up. I have not used them and cannot recommend but I believe it is more cost effective.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby jed clampett » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:48 am

DJRansome wrote:Or some people like power heads that just circulate the water without filtration to get the turnover up. I have not used them and cannot recommend but I believe it is more cost effective.

That seems a bit counter-intuitive to me. How would a power head increase turnover?
jed clampett

Postby jed clampett » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:52 am

DJRansome wrote:A second canister with at least 4X turnover, but up to 6X turnover.

I figured I could just buy another Eheim 4+ 600 but they are quite pricey. Was wondering if there might be other alternatives that could do the job just as well at a more affordable cost.
jed clampett

Postby jed clampett » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:55 am

Third part of the question: I've got 24 new fish (less than 2") coming tomorrow. How long can I get away with just running the one Eheim at a turnover rate of 4X/Hour?
jed clampett

Postby Deeda » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:08 pm

Just monitor the tank parameters and/or increase water changes to keep the nitrate low.

A 2nd filter adds more filtration capacity and moves more water so it picks up more dirt and detritus.

A power-head also moves water and can help to move detritus towards the single canister filter intake or near a corner of the tank where you can siphon out the crud.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby jed clampett » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:20 pm

Deeda wrote:A power-head also moves water and can help to move detritus towards the single canister filter intake or near a corner of the tank where you can siphon out the crud.

Thanks. I think I get it now. I've got a power head that I bought a while ago but never really put to use. I'm not sure I know where it should be placed to push detritus toward the filter intake. Any suggestions?
jed clampett

Postby Old Newbie » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:04 pm

Opposite end of the tank from the filter pick up angled toward the bottom so that it creates flow toward the filter pick up.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
40g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Postby jed clampett » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:36 pm

Old Newbie wrote:Opposite end of the tank from the filter pick up angled toward the bottom so that it creates flow toward the filter pick up.

Thanks!
jed clampett

Postby DJRansome » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:41 pm

If you had 24 fish in there before and were satisfied with 4X turnover, not a problem. 4X turnover works filtration wise, it just means you will have to vacuum more debris from your substrate every week.

If you are increasing your bioload by more than 1/3 then you could have a mini cycle situation...that would not be better or worse with a filter with higher turnover.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby jed clampett » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:52 pm

24 new fish going in a new tank that has been "fishless cycled". When I ran this system (with same bio-load) before I always used the AC 110 in conjunction with the Eheim Pro 4+ 600. We want to run it quieter this time. It's in a room where we also do prayer and meditation. I put my power head in to see what it would do. Definitely stirring things up but also creating a bit more noise than I would like. I may just have to bite the bullet and go for another Eheim.
jed clampett

Postby Deeda » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:58 pm

I am a fan of the Eheim Classic filters as they have minimal parts to replace when needed but having 2 of the same model requires less variation in parts to have on hand.

Is the power head you have just vibration noise or is it water movement noise?
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby jed clampett » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:12 pm

Deeda wrote:Is the power head you have just vibration noise or is it water movement noise?

Vibration or motor noise. Kind of humming. No water movement noise. It's probably a pretty cheap power head. Marineland Maxi-Jet. I've got it set up for "Laminar Water Circulation".
jed clampett

Postby DJRansome » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:32 pm

Whatever filters you used to fishless cycle the tank, you need to keep on the tank when you get the new fish. That is where the beneficial bacteria is growing.

So say you have to keep the 110 for now. But you also decide to add another canister.

Run the new canister alongside the 110 for 2 weeks and then you should be good to remove the 110. At that time, you can also transfer the established sponge and media from the 110 to one of your new canister trays.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby jed clampett » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:43 pm

DJRansome wrote:Whatever filters you used to fishless cycle the tank, you need to keep on the tank when you get the new fish. That is where the beneficial bacteria is growing.

I just cycled with the Eheim canister this time
jed clampett

Next

Return to Lake Malawi Species