Lake Malawi Species • 375 gallon all male tank?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

375 gallon all male tank?

Postby NOLACLS » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:39 pm

I am converting my 375 gallon tank to a hap/peacock tank if I can make it work. Tank is 96x30x30 and will be mostly open with a few low rocks in the sand. Should I just start with like 5 of a bunch of different things and see how they grow out with some males and females? Would be hard to fill it with all males buying them bigger once they can be sexed. Would that be a big enough tank to have males and females in a big mix like that? Should I just draw down to like 10 different big haps and put 1 of each in and let them get 10-16"?
NOLACLS

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 375 gallon all male tank?

Postby DJRansome » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:07 pm

I guess it depends on what you want to end up with. The problem with buying more than one species (especially peacocks) and mixing them as juveniles and removing females as they mature is that you lose the ability to know which female is maleri and which female is ngara. Thus making it impossible to sell or even rehome.

Ultimately you want all-male correct? And you want big haps primarily with smaller male haps and peacocks thrown in as required to manage aggression?

If you need to grow them out from unsexed juveniles, probably best to do it in separate tanks.

I have done all male with 11 adult males and 8 unsexed juveniles of one species to grow them out and remove extras as they mature. With the only possible females being the one species. I always knew what they were.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby jcover » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:57 pm

Like DJRansome said, starting with juvies can be tricky to keep track, if you are keeping similar like fish.

If you were to go the route of adding 5 juvies of each species, I would get species that look completely different. This way, it seems low risk to mix fish species up, regardless of gender.

Example:
1x nimbochromis species
1x buccochromis species
1x Aulococara species
jcover

Postby NOLACLS » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:02 pm

I guess I will try and shop from the 2" or so fish out there that can be sexed and add in what I want from that stock. Some species might have to be a little bigger to sex so I will just have to shop around. I had a 240 I set up like that...id rather just dump in a bunch of small ones and let them stand out on there own but I get the mixing of females that I wouldnt be able to ID. I dont have all my other tanks up so no room to grow things out.

What are some good places online to look? It has been almost 10 years since I ordered some Africans online lol.
NOLACLS

Postby ken31cay » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:15 pm

The place I order from specializes in africans, has good fish id's on their website, and puts videos of their new stock arrivals on their youtube channel so you can see the fish before you buy them. Pm me if you're interested. Africans are still fairly new to me but I think more accurate sexing bigger than 2".
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal Trewavasae Chilumba & Kenyi
ken31cay

Postby DJRansome » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:17 pm

I would not trust every vendor that claims to sell sexed males. For vendor feedback you can look at Retailer Reviews or send a PM to a Member or Moderator so that Cichlid-forum can keep review-type information out of the forums.

Look for a vendor that has up to date scientific names and collection points.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby jcover » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:46 pm

Larger haps you wont be able to confirm gender until 4-6" in length.
jcover

Postby NOLACLS » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:29 pm

Opps sorry about that I wasn't sure how the website was with sharing vendor info its been a while since I have been on here.

I realize it may be wrongly sexed and some may not be possible until older ill just have to gamble with some. I dont 100% remember how they all mix so I may throw up some fish and sizes to see what yall think as far as mixing. A larger sand sifter might be safer than a larger open water predator to mix with smaller fish lol.

I am still in the process of flushing out the last tank setup, just sucked out the sand and getting all the filters cleaned up. I am trying to save some of the bacteria to jump start the new setup. Have to replace the LED lights I been using off ebay some burnt out.
NOLACLS

Postby NOLACLS » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Sucked out all my old sand and im on the prowl for something nice and white. I have some top fin from petsmart that looks the look but the grain may be a tad bog to keep trash on top. Anyone have experience with that stuff?

Also got a Kessil a360x tuna blue to try out but its a bit too blue for me (good for saltwater) so I have a tuna sun on the way to test out.
NOLACLS

Postby DJRansome » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:19 pm

What is the grain of the top fin? You want 20 grain.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby NOLACLS » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:58 am

I am not sure I tried to find that info but have not been able too. I saw you say that before, I’ll post a pic in a few. I am going to just use it and if I don’t like how it works I’ll suck it out and put something else. On the bag it calles it gravel but the color is called white sand. It’s small enough to float like the black sand I had last time I did Africans but this one looks a tad bigger.
NOLACLS

Postby DJRansome » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:30 am

Hope you like it!
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species