Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Do I have enough fish in my 650L/171g tank?

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  DJRansome 
#1 ·
Hello there,

I have set up said tank about 6 weeks ago for some rescues and my own fish.

So far the stocking is:

4x Labidochrimis Hongi "Red Top"

4x Pseudotropheus Demasoni

4x Pseudotropheus elongatus mpanga (not 100% sure about this one. There are so many species looking like them, could be a Labidochromis sp. "mbamba")

1x Labidochromis caeruleus White

4x Labidochromis caeruleus Yellow

1x Pseudotropheus zebra (not 100% positive about that one its one of the rescues, could be a Pseudotropheus kingsizei)

4x Labeotropheus fuelleborni "Chimwalani Reef" (not 100% sure on those as well mine are orange with brown spots)

3x Chisumulae mbweca thumbi

4x Labidochromis sp. "nacre"

4x Iodotropheus sprengerae

2x Pseudotropheus sp. "acei"

4x greyish ones with black fins and black stripes I cant identify (2 of them are fry I dont know if they are related)

3x very light pink ones (sometimes shimmering blue) with light yellow fins and stripes

2x light brown fry with darker brown stripes I cant identify (and some smaller fry but I don't know if they will survive or not so I don't count them in yet)

I am not that long into keeping Mbunas (about 11 months now) but I think my aggression levels are too high. Some of the fish are really dark in coloration and there are torn fins here and there.

Do I have enough Mbuna or do I need more?
If I need more could I get bigger races in there to break up aggression or should I only add more Mbunas?

Cheers and thanks for the help in advance!

See less See more
#4 ·
It is basically a six foot tank or 72". Stock the fish by the length since they are territorial and want to claim a patch of the substrate.

So for a 72" tank I like 5 species and 1m:4f of each (depending on the species...for some you want more females).

Think in terms of 25 fish.

Having a lot of species creates a problem because Malawi are harem breeders. Lots of females for every male to manage aggression and keep the females alive.

Or if the variety is essential, think in terms of 18 individuals, all one gender and one of each and none that look anything alike.

#6 ·
The main reason for 4 females or no females is to keep any females alive and healthy so they are not harassed, they don't sicken and infect the tank.

The adults will eat the fry. If you still have survivors, remove some of their hiding places such as smaller rocks and rock piles. Or add a group of 7 Synodontis multipunctatus for fry patrol. Over the 14 years I have been keeping Malawi...in 6 tanks...I have had fewer than a dozen survivor fry.

More importantly if you stock well and minimize risk of cross breeding, any survivor fry are likely to be pure and can be donated to your local club auction and promote the fish hobby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.