Switch to full site
Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.
Post a reply

Help Selecting Stock: 125 gallon (6')

Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:55 pm

I have a 125 gallon tank that is 6' long. Currently houses Frontosa, Tropheus, and Synodontis Multipunctatus. My wife always complains about the fish because they all hide and she liked my all male Hap tank better. I really wanted a breeding tank, but the Frontosa due tend to only hide and I've had them 3 years or so and no luck on breeding.

Currently looking on recommendations for a breeding tank of a few species of Haps, Tangs, or Mbuna. Looking for colorful species that will hang out in the open more. As I understand it Haps are typically more free swimming and spend less time hiding in caves. Not sure on whether to get rid of the synodontis given that I am trying to have babies (not to sell or anything, just for fun, so don't need super high survival rate necessarily).

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Re: Help Selecting Stock: 125 gallon (6')

Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:18 pm

If you had either the frontosa or the tropheus the fish probably would not hide and would likely spawn.

However if you want a change and color and spawning, a mbuna tank could fit the bill.

No need to get rid of the Synodontis...you need a separate tank for the mom's before they spit and to raise the babies anyway.

Think in terms of 5 species with 1m:4f of each:
Labidochromis caeruleus Nkhata Bay
Cynotilapia sp hara
Iodotropheus sprengerae
Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos Maingano. Do 1m:7f of these.
Metriaclima estherae Cherry Red

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:25 pm

You are correct that most haps are open water swimmers. Unfortunately with haps, you will end up with only a few coloured individuals, unless you go all male.

Mbunas would be the most colourful option, and breeding can occur easily in a mixed mbuna species tank. Haps I feel get more territorial over the entire tank, when breeding.

Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:32 pm

Me personally if your gonna breed some fish I would go with some kande Island lethrinops they are absolutely gorgeous. And they breed like crazy they are and will do best when there is 1 male and 3 to 5 females. But any of the lethrinops are spectacular fish you wont be disappointed and either will your girlfriend.
Post a reply