Lake Malawi Species • Pseudotropheus Polit Cichlid Maturity

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Pseudotropheus Polit Cichlid Maturity

Postby VaranusPanoptes » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:58 pm

How old or how big does a polit cichlid have to be to come into its color? I have juvies and they are all grey/brown.
VaranusPanoptes

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Pseudotropheus Polit Cichlid Maturity

Postby DJRansome » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:24 am

Hopefully someone will chime in who has kept polit, but age/size is not the only factor. From the Cichlid-forum profile: When the males feel threatened they can change their color to a dull grey/blue instantly.

Only males are colorful.

Search for posts by SinisterKisses, that Member kept polit and had a lot of experience with them. They show best color in a tank where they feel dominant.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby VaranusPanoptes » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:48 pm

That's weird cause my perlmutt and demasoni cichlids are colorful even the picked on ones.
VaranusPanoptes

Postby noki » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:04 pm

VaranusPanoptes wrote:That's weird cause my perlmutt and demasoni cichlids are colorful even the picked on ones.

It is normal for a majority of Malawi cichlids to have drab females and juveniles. The males color up with dominance and maturity. With Polit one male will color up completely while females will stay drab and other males may not show full color. If you have bigger dominant males of another species in the tank the Polit male may not keep his color.

Some Mbuna do have brightly colored juveniles. They are popular for this reason.
noki

Postby jcover » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:22 pm

When I kept them approximately 10 years ago, I could only get one fully coloured male in a 6ft 135 gallon. It was fully coloured around 2 - 2.5" in length.
jcover

Return to Lake Malawi Species