Lake Malawi Species • Nimbochromis Venustus vs Livingstonii

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Nimbochromis Venustus vs Livingstonii

Postby jcover » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:28 am

Hi all, does anyone have experience with these species? Is one preferred over the other? Is one more aggressive than the other in general? Let me know!

Thanks
jcover

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Nimbochromis Venustus vs Livingstonii

Postby noki » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:25 am

Depends on what you want. Livingstonii can have the cool hunter camo. Venustus are more colorful. Venustus males can really color up light blue and yellow, and keep their color well. Livingstonii and Polystigma males get dark blue and can be attractive, but don't really color up bright and keep their color like Aulonocara. I wouldn't get a male Livingstonii expecting a brightly colored show fish, even thou you may still like him. Neither are very meek for a "Hap". Venustus seems to grow somewhat bigger.
noki

Postby jcover » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:21 pm

Thanks Noki. At the end of the day, I am looking probably for more colour. I think I'll try out venustus.
jcover

Postby gverde » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:43 pm

I have a 8-9" venustus. He can be very aggressive. I had to remove him from my 220 gallon because he was taking half the tank for his own with other large haps, champs, buccos, tyrannochromis. I moved him to a 125 gallon that has larger talapias and he is fine with them, no aggression.
220G All Male Hap/Peacock
125G Male "White Lips", Yellow labs, and Oreochromis esculentus
gverde

Postby jcover » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:36 pm

Thanks for the info gverde. Based on what I've heard, this seems to occur often with Venustus?
jcover

Postby DJRansome » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:59 am

I would expect the same behavior from all the nimbochromis and would want to hear from someone who has kept both if there is a difference.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Jread002 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:18 pm

I currently have a 6.5" polystigma and a 5.5" livingstoni. Polystigma has taken tank boss position from my 7" blue dolphin. He can be agressive at times but I've seen alot worse. The livingstoni isn't to agressive yet but I'm sure that will change. My current predicament is my 4.5" fryeri taking over half the tank from fish twice his size. Fish is beautiful but will probably have to move or re-home him
125 gal peacock and hap tank
Fx6 and AC 100
75 gal peacock and hap tank
Fx6 and AC 100
Jread002

Postby jcover » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:53 pm

Jread002. Very interesting! Currently, my tank boss is a Copadichromis borleyi. I suspect soon my Aristochromis cristyi will take the boss position as he is growing like a weed! I have a fryeri, but he never chases anyone. Lots of unique personalities to these fish.
jcover

Return to Lake Malawi Species