Lake Malawi Species • 135 Gallon 72 inch Tank Stocking Question

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

135 Gallon 72 inch Tank Stocking Question

Postby nickthefoxtoy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:00 pm

My tank has finally finished cycling and I am ready to stock it. It is a 135 72 inch tank. I am going for an all male peacock/hap tank. This is my idea below:

Venustas
Malawi Hawk Cichlid
Yellow Tail Acei
Electric Yellow
Blue Dolphin
Super Red Empress
OB Peacock
Malawi Gar?
Sunshine Peacock
Eureka Red
Dragon Blood
Frontosa?
Group of clown loaches

I have had a Mbuna tank for 4 years, but I am completely knew to the Haps/peacocks. Would what I have so far mesh decently well? Could I fit a frontosa in this, a lot of people give a lot of different answers about frontosas with Malawi cichlids. If I did get a front I would get a much larger one.

Any fish on this list that would need to be taken out? I would also love suggestions! What are people's more favorite peacocks/haps. I love the trout cichlid, but I believe my tank may be too small for one of these. Is that true? Any haps that are yellow in color? Any more rare cichlids that are good looking and fun to own? I will be buying them as male and paying the extra cost.

Thanks for the help!
nickthefoxtoy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 135 Gallon 72 inch Tank Stocking Question

Postby DJRansome » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:24 pm

I am sure I am one of the ones who said to skip the frontosa in a hap/peacock tank. Also the clown loaches...Synodontis multipunctatus or lucipinnis would be a better fit for a bottom dweller in a Malawi tank.

Mylochromis ericotaenia is an unusual hap.

No yellow hap, but you can get yellow from a peacock and yellow labs. Spilontus Tanzania has yellow on the body.

I like 18 individuals if they mature <= 6 inches. You have a lot of big haps on your list, maybe reduce the number.

The eureka red and the dragon blood will not likely be happy together.

I like many of the more timid haps. Protomelas marginatus. Otopharynx tetrastigma. Copadichromis chrysonotus.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby jcover » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:22 pm

you might find some of the more timid species, such as the sunshine peacock, to be out shined by the more boisterous species such as the venustus, OBs or Dragon Blood.
jcover

Postby Dooner » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:39 pm

From my limited experience, I can tell you that my Otophraynx was a bully and created a lot of tension. The venustus and dolphin fish are dominant due to size but not bullies. My OB peacocks and electric yellow are fine. As long as you don’t have multiple male peacocks of similar colors they are fine. I have several different ones and they are a favorite. I have a couple of plecos and a couple of Mbuna. One is a rusty. I have two but if they are together in a tank they fight terribly. It sounds like you like a lot of the same fish as I do so PM me if you want.
Dooner

Postby DJRansome » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:11 pm

Dooner how long has your mix been together? I know not long...but you may have to continue making changes for 2 years to be sure you have a stable mix. Good to hear you are good at this point!

Really unusual for Otopharynx to be a bully, they are usually difficult to get to color up since they are timid. Goes to show there are SOME individual variances where an individual fish has not read his profile.

I agree with jcover.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby nickthefoxtoy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:42 am

This is what I am thinking after reading everything people said. I would like to steer clear of any issues ahead of time if possible, I know individual fish may vary.

Remove Dragon Blood add Copadichromis chrysonotus
Remove the Malawi Gar and add Otopharynx tetrastigma
Remove Blue Dolphin and add Spilontus Tanzania
Remove the frontosa all together.
I feel like the tank might not be stocked enough at this point? Is there any other fish I should look into. There is so many, it is kind of over whelming.
I have the clown loaches already because I got them from someone who had them in too small of a tank. If they don't fit or don't seem to be working I will rehome them.

Is the Venustas going to cause an issue? I have been seeing mixed reviews on them being overly aggressive. Is the Livingstoni any better? Does anyone have any history with the ARISTOCHROMIS CHRISTYI? Do they cause any issues?
nickthefoxtoy

Postby Dooner » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:44 am

DJRansome wrote:Dooner how long has your mix been together? I know not long...but you may have to continue making changes for 2 years to be sure you have a stable mix. Good to hear you are good at this point!

Really unusual for Otopharynx to be a bully, they are usually difficult to get to color up since they are timid. Goes to show there are SOME individual variances where an individual fish has not read his profile.

I agree with jcover.

Even newbies have experiences that may be helpful.
Dooner

Postby DJRansome » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:49 pm

Absolutely! just know that your mix on day 150 may not be successful on day 365 or day 700. But once a mix is successful after day 700 you have a good chance of that continuing.

Joea used to say judging a mix too early is like deciding whether a marriage will last based on the honeymoon. :)
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby jcover » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:50 pm

From my experience (although brief), aristochromsi cristyi are rather peaceful towards other species. I have a group of 5 that are just starting to colour up (around 5"). Almost no aggression between them and the other fish.

Just to add to individual personalities for fish, my Copadochromis borleyi quadrimaculatus is my tank boss, and chases all of my OB peacocks, scianochromis fryeri and cristyi around. I have a feeling that will change once more fish become fully mature. At the end of the day, it is about how your tank mix will balance with individual personalities.
jcover

Postby DJRansome » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:17 pm

Borleyi is one of the more aggressive copadichromis, I agree.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species