Switch to full site
Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.
Post a reply

My 120 Mbuna Tank Stocking - Advice and Ideas

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:44 am

Hi everyone,

After keeping a SA/CA tank for nearly ten years I gutted it and have changed it over to Mbuna.Very pleased with my decision so far - such. different environment, loving the different mood of the tank.

Its a 450 litre 4 x 2 x 2 foot.
I have 2 x Fluval 305 canisters running on it.
A Mariglo marine blue/white LED light.
It is black background, white sand, and loads of Texas holey rock to help with the chemistry.
I will do my best to post a picture from my phone as well.

Initially I loved the idea of stocking with just a couple of contrasting coloured species for effect.
I initially added 10 x yellow labs and 10 x cobalt blues.
I am in the process of also trying to get a demasoni colony going - I started with six and ordered more, a week later I added six more but within a week I had already lost four - they were cowering and not coming out to eat, I can only assume being bullied by the other demasoni as the others don't go near them I understand I probably need to start with a much bigger group to end up with about 12 compatible/correct sex ratio fish in the end. I bought another 5 today (all my lFS had left) and they are ordering me another ten. Hoping to end up with about 12-15.

So now I have the bright yellow, the pale blue, and the dark striped blue of the demasoni.
It looks great...but I still can't help but feel it needs something more, another little pop of contrasting colour.

I was wondering about Acei but thought it might be too much blue... although I see sometimes they look more a lilac colour. I also looked at 'red' zebras but in my LFS they look more yellow than red and I don't think they'll contrast well with the yellows at all.

I'm looking for a conspecific (males females same colour - or at least where females are bright - I don't want any drab fish) preferably so I can keep going with my big groups of fish that look the same. I'm not a fan of Mbuna tanks with one of this, one of that etc so I hope you can appreciate what I'm trying to achieve and offer some suggestions.

So all up I'm sitting on at out 32-35 Mbuna with my current stocking at the moment.I also have 3 fairly large clown loaches left over from my old tank (I could not find anyone with a big enough tank for them - so they are staying for now, but I know this water chemistry isn't the best for them in the long run so hopefully will move them on when I can find someone appropriate to take them)

Interested to know thoughts on what else I might add, how many more I could add and how much room I have to work with really

Thanks in advance!

Re: My 120 Mbuna Tank Stocking - Advice and Ideas

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:51 am

I’ve attached some pictures below
Attachments
B21688A5-B093-4EE6-9C28-FAA33553FAC9.jpeg
My tank
7C7CEA35-5441-43A8-AB53-D455DB9FBD3C.jpeg
Some of the inhabitants

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:44 am

With a 48" tank you want to shoot for 20 mbuna. You can go over a bit since you need 15 demasoni, but probably 4 species is not going to be ideal.

3m:10f demasoni
1m:4f yellow labs
1m:4f cobalts

FYI in certain lighting acei can look periwinkle, but that is not going to contrast much with your cobalts.

Red zebras would crossbreed with your yellow labs so I would skip them.

Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:48 pm

20 in a 120 gallon deep wide tank seems to really under stocked to me for Mbuna! A guide I had read was 8-12 per 30 gallons depending on size...

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:29 am

It looks like your fish are still on the small size. I have 24 mbuna in my 180gal and they're all around 4" now with more to grow. I can't imagine having more than this in there, even now it's a bit crowded. I'm sure my bioload will be maxed for the recommended 50% weekly water change.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:49 am

I kept 25 in my 72" 125G tank. The fish are territorial, so stock by length, not gallons. The "inches/gallons" rule does not work well for territorial fish.

The height and the width does not add much if anything in stocking capacity for many of the African Rift Lake cichlids.
Post a reply