Lake Malawi Species • Species Profiles as an aide for stocking

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Species Profiles as an aide for stocking

Postby VaranusPanoptes » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:14 am

Did I make a mistake by using the species profiles to try and match cichlids up for my tank? I based my choices off of aggression level and size, so for example, I matched the polit cichlid's temperment with that of demasoni's; both are aggressive. I'm as new to this as they come so be patient with me, lol.
VaranusPanoptes

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Species Profiles as an aide for stocking

Postby DJRansome » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:00 am

It is not necessary to match size or aggression level.

Not sure if you noticed demasoni have a higher difficulty level than most fish. Fishkeepers have found they do well in large groups of 12 or more after removing extra males. Polit experiences show that they need to be dominant in the tank to color well, but are not necessarily brave enough to make themselves dominant with other aggressive species present.

You are right, quirky bits of information are not necessarily in the profiles. If you also read the articles you might find more of this type of info. And definitely a search of the forums.

It's always a good practice to post a stocking list before buying fish to get feedback.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby VaranusPanoptes » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:02 pm

I found this info on egg spots: "The male then presents the egg-spots on the anal fin; the female seemingly nuzzles at these egg-spots and the male releases sperm so that the eggs are fertilized within the females' mouth. The eggs and larvae then stay in the buccal cavity of the female for a period of several days to a few weeks." So I think the fish I have with egg spots are males.
VaranusPanoptes

Postby VaranusPanoptes » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:11 pm

nevermind
VaranusPanoptes

Return to Lake Malawi Species