Page 1 of 1

Maingano or Socolofi with Red Zebra colony?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:22 pm
by Mudkicker1
I have a red zebra colony in a 75g. Time to add some blue. Between Maingano or Socolofi which is a better match in terms of aggression and hybridization?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Re: Maingano or Socolofi with Red Zebra colony?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:59 pm
by DJRansome
Aggression similar and hybridization not a problem.

It comes down to do you like the bright blue or the pale blue?

Re: Maingano or Socolofi with Red Zebra colony?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:07 pm
by Mudkicker1
DJRansome wrote:Aggression similar and hybridization not a problem.

It comes down to do you like the bright blue or the pale blue?
I would think that there is a greater risk of cross breeding with the Socolofi.
I would prefer Maingano so long as there won't be too aggressive for my Red Zebra.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Re: Maingano or Socolofi with Red Zebra colony?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:29 pm
by DJRansome
No, socolofi is Pseudotropheus and red zebras are Metriaclima.

The socolofi were more aggressive than the red zebra IME but they were fine together.

I have also had maingano with Metriaclima msobo...fine together.

Re: Maingano or Socolofi with Red Zebra colony?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:21 pm
by Mudkicker1
DJRansome wrote:No, socolofi is Pseudotropheus and red zebras are Metriaclima.

The socolofi were more aggressive than the red zebra IME but they were fine together.

I have also had maingano with Metriaclima msobo...fine together.
Thanks for the advice DJ [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Re: Maingano or Socolofi with Red Zebra colony?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:06 pm
by noki
Maingano would be more of a contrast, if you can get some good ones, I would.

Red Zebras have natural light blue dominant males, the fish have been bred to be orange but I doubt they comprehend that, so maybe that might confuse the Red Zebras a little. Probably not a major problem.

Re: Maingano or Socolofi with Red Zebra colony?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:42 pm
by Mudkicker1
noki wrote:Maingano would be more of a contrast, if you can get some good ones, I would.

Red Zebras have natural light blue dominant males, the fish have been bred to be orange but I doubt they comprehend that, so maybe that might confuse the Red Zebras a little. Probably not a major problem.
My colony of red zebra were purchased as "Red Red" and they are actually a peachy pink color.... go figure. The males have a blue sheen in their dorsal and tail fins.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk