Lake Malawi Species • New tank

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

New tank

Postby Jread002 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:38 am

I finally got my new 125 gal up and running so I could move some of my bigger cichlids into it from the 75 gal which will now be a grow out. I moved 6 fish from the 75 into the 125, after a few days my dolphin tank boss started becoming very aggressive towards almost all the other 5 fish. He had been with the others in the 75 for about 6 months and there were never any big problems. Now I'm seeing some badly torn fins in several of the fish. I the dolphin is 7" the other 5 are in the 5” range. The other fish are a German red, borlyi, acei, ob peacock and a fryeri. I know the tank is under stocked. I have a shipment of fish coming in a week but after quarentine it's going to be more than 2 weeks before I can introduce 6+ fish. Looking for some advice on what to do to maybe curb the agression until then. I haven't seen any fish hiding in the corners or any of that kind of behavior just slot of chasing and some torn fins. Should I just leave it as is for the 2 weeks?
125 gal peacock and hap tank
Fx6 and AC 100
75 gal peacock and hap tank
Fx6 and AC 100
Jread002

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New tank

Postby DJRansome » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:38 am

Isolate him in a separate tank until you add the new fish after quarantine, and then add him back.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species