Lake Malawi Species • New tank

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

New tank

Postby Jread002 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:38 am

I finally got my new 125 gal up and running so I could move some of my bigger cichlids into it from the 75 gal which will now be a grow out. I moved 6 fish from the 75 into the 125, after a few days my dolphin tank boss started becoming very aggressive towards almost all the other 5 fish. He had been with the others in the 75 for about 6 months and there were never any big problems. Now I'm seeing some badly torn fins in several of the fish. I the dolphin is 7" the other 5 are in the 5” range. The other fish are a German red, borlyi, acei, ob peacock and a fryeri. I know the tank is under stocked. I have a shipment of fish coming in a week but after quarentine it's going to be more than 2 weeks before I can introduce 6+ fish. Looking for some advice on what to do to maybe curb the agression until then. I haven't seen any fish hiding in the corners or any of that kind of behavior just slot of chasing and some torn fins. Should I just leave it as is for the 2 weeks?
125 gal peacock and hap tank
Fx6 and AC 100
75 gal peacock and hap tank
Fx6 and AC 100
Jread002

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New tank

Postby DJRansome » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:38 am

Isolate him in a separate tank until you add the new fish after quarantine, and then add him back.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species