Lake Malawi Species • Stocking Levels

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Stocking Levels

Postby chefdanrd » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:18 pm

I have a 75 gallon aquarium and I have 15 mbuna cichlids. 5-cobalt blue, 6-yellow labs, and 4-rusties. I'm not sure of the ratio of m/f for the labs and rusties; but the cobalts are 1 male to 5-females. The tank is usually relatively calm but my male cobalt has been getting a little feisty with all the other fish. I rearranged the rocks today during my weekly PWC and things have calmed down for the moment. I thought 15 would be appropriate. With the rocks and substrate I calculated having approximately 63 gallons of water using a formula I found on the web. Is my stocking level considered understocked for a 75gallon? If so, how many would be appropriate to spread out the aggression? They are eating 1/2 teaspoon of food within 2 minutes. Would this be considered under feeding which may be causing more aggression?
75G Labidochromis caeruleus, Iodotropheus sprengerae, Maylandia callainos
chefdanrd

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Stocking Levels

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 pm

I would go 20 in a 75G. You could add female cobalts to help out. If you want to maintain the balance of species do 1m:7f of each. It does not sound like under feeding unless the bellies are concave?
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: Stocking Levels

Postby chefdanrd » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:34 pm

DJRansome wrote:I would go 20 in a 75G. You could add female cobalts to help out. If you want to maintain the balance of species do 1m:7f of each. It does not sound like under feeding unless the bellies are concave?
Thanks for the info. I think it would be a good idea to increase the number of females of each species. I'm in the process of setting up a second tank for quarantine since I had an experience of buying fish having intestinal parasites. I will definitely quarantine the next batch of fish before adding to the main tank. There are no concave bellies at all and they appear to be growing well. Thanks for your help. :fish:
75G Labidochromis caeruleus, Iodotropheus sprengerae, Maylandia callainos
chefdanrd

Return to Lake Malawi Species