Lake Malawi Species • Saulosi male populations

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Saulosi male populations

Postby Ralph493 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:24 pm

I have read that in a Saulosi community you should have one male but not two. Understanding the rationale that one male will kill the other. It follows that if you have multiple males have more than two. As long as you maintain a reasonable number of females to males is there a limit to males in the community? I presently have 5 males and 12 females (hoping to add a few more). These are housed in a 55 gallon tank. Should males be in odd numbers? Or if there are over three does it matter?
Ralph493

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Saulosi male populations

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:03 pm

You want 4 females for every male. Some people are able to get 3 males to tolerate each other in a tank (like a 55G or larger) and some have the 3 males and 2 never color up.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Ralph493 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:52 pm

DJRansome wrote:You want 4 females for every male. Some people are able to get 3 males to tolerate each other in a tank (like a 55G or larger) and some have the 3 males and 2 never color up.

Thanks, DJ. I presently have five males and four fully colored up and the fifth close to full color. This in a 55 with 12 females. I want to divide them and move one male with 3/4 females to another tank. That would leave four males with 9-10 females in the existing tank.
Ralph493

Postby noki » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:52 am

Are you planning to selectively breed the smaller group? You are fine with multiple males as long as there is a good sized group, they are naturally a schooling fish, the more fish the better and you have lots of females (hopefully you are sure about the females). Now the males may decide for you if they get along, but you should wait and see how it plays out before removing extra males.
noki

Postby Ralph493 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:33 am

noki wrote:Are you planning to selectively breed the smaller group? You are fine with multiple males as long as there is a good sized group, they are naturally a schooling fish, the more fish the better and you have lots of females (hopefully you are sure about the females). Now the males may decide for you if they get along, but you should wait and see how it plays out before removing extra males.

More concerned with over population in the present tank. Total of around 27. Also, I want to keep enough fry survivors to replace lost fish along the way. My males colours are great with exception of the one who looks fine but not as brilliant as the four others.
Ralph493

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:52 am

You will have to see how it goes and keep nitrates under 20ppm. You don't want to take any more females out of the tank with the 4 males, so not much choice. The problem is males masquerading as females (not colored up...which you would expect)...so noki says hopefully you are sure.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Ralph493 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:42 am

DJRansome wrote:You will have to see how it goes and keep nitrates under 20ppm. You don't want to take any more females out of the tank with the 4 males, so not much choice. The problem is males masquerading as females (not colored up...which you would expect)...so noki says hopefully you are sure.

Agree. I test for nitrates. Do regular water changes at fifty percent so I have handle on that. I have eight fry growing out in a thirty gallon long now. Hoping for at least 3-4 females. Rehome any males. Of the twenty seven fish in my established 55 ten are White Labs. Thinking of transferring them to a new 55 making my existing tank a species only tank of Saulosi. Thanks for all help. :fish:
Ralph493

Return to Lake Malawi Species