Lake Malawi Species • 75 gallon, final species

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

75 gallon, final species

Postby Staplezz11 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:01 pm

Hello!
This is my first post on this forum (or any regarding the aquarium hobby).
I am in the process of restocking a 75 gallon with Mbuna. Thus far, I have added 6 white tail acid, 4 labs, 4 estherae, and 1 Maingano (who I will probably remove), and will be correcting my ratios on these species as they reach maturity.
I am wondering what to add for a final species to cap myself at 4 total. I am considering cyanotilapia afra, as a local lfs has a great selection of multiple afra species. They also carry labeotropheus trewavesae “ob” and fuellebourni Katale which are two of my favorites, but I was concerned with them outgrowing a 75, as well as pseudotropheus daktari although they look too similar to the labs.
Enough rambling, I would greatly appreciate some input on the compatibility of the Afra’s With the aforementioned species.
Thank you!
Staplezz11

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 75 gallon, final species

Postby Staplezz11 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:24 pm

*acei, sorry for any other spelling mistakes, I am on mobile.

I was also considering elongatus chewere, but have heard bad things regarding their aggression. Has anyone had some experience with them?
Staplezz11

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 am

Any of the species you mention would be fine. 1m:7f for labeotropheus or elongatus. 1m:4f for Cynotilapia zebroides (no longer called afra). Remove the lone maingano and swap out either the estherae or the yellow labs as they crossbreed.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Staplezz11 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:42 am

Thank you for the feedback! I think I will probably go with the cyno’s. Since I have no real goals in breeding from this tank, I think I’ll probably just add a synodontus for fry control on potential hybrids.
Staplezz11

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:19 am

The Synodontis that would work for this tank (and usually available) are multipunctatus or lucipinnis. Go with a group of 5. Multipunctatus are better at fry patrol.

If you will keep the maingano in the tank I would up your female count to manage aggression so he is not fighting for (killing? making them sick?) females from the other species. Or maybe the maingano is a female?

Watch for survivor fry and separate them while young while you can still ID them as distinct from the "pure" adults.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Staplezz11 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:38 am

The Maingano definitely will not be staying, he/she was somewhat of an impulse buy. Thank you very much for the feedback, I will be adding a final species this evening, depending on lfs selection. Then I’ll definitely look into the synos. Thanks again!
Staplezz11

Return to Lake Malawi Species