Lake Malawi Species • New member, new tank advice please

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

New member, new tank advice please

Postby darkfader » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:54 pm

Hello all, new to the forum and this place is a wealth of knowledge. I’ve been researching and think I’ve got my plan dialed in, but I want to be sure while shopping for livestock.

What I have now:
110 gallon tall, 48x18 footprint
*Tank is drilled and Eclipse L overflow installed with all 1” beananimal style drain and 1” return
25 gallon multi chamber sump setup with Matala progressive filter pads and fluvall ceramic rings
Current-USA 1900gph return pump
Current-USA 48” Satellite plus pro freshwater LED
Fluvall 200 watt heaters x2
100lbs Black Diamond blasting sand
Several pieces of miscellaneous driftwood
Unlimited supply of limestone rocks

All the hardware is new and I should hopefully finish the plumbing tonight. I have a few each of anubius nana, java fern, Vallisneria, and Amazon Swords arriving Friday. I’ll use root tabs and liquid ferts for the plantlife. If everything goes according to plan, it’ll be full of water by Friday evening. I’ll do a fishless cycle using ammonia and dosing/testing accordingly.

So, I’m fairly certain the hardscape will be natural and appropriate, and the filtration should be quite adequate. My main concern is if the following combination of Mbuna will be able to work. I’m interested in these three:

Cynotilapia Afra Jalo Reef
Labidochromis Caeruleus electric yellow lab
Metriaclima Callainos cobalt blue zebra

I had planned to add 6 of each, 1-2M/4-5F ordering from an online vendor, unless I need more or less of one or more of the species.

I’m interested to hear thoughts and opinions on this.

Thanks for any insight and I appreciate it. I’ll post pics of the setup once it’s plumbed and in place.
darkfader

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New member, new tank advice please

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:32 pm

1m:6f of each. Since it is hard to get mbuna sexed, I would buy unsexed juveniles 12 of each and rehome extra males as they mature and cause trouble.

Some websites will claim to supply sexed juveniles but let the buyer beware.

Note that the Cynotilapia afra name has changed to zebroides...so websites with the current name are likely to be more reputable.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby darkfader » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:19 pm

Thanks for the tips DJ. Otherwise you feel these three will get along ok if I do the 1M:6F ratio? Another question, would I introduce one species at a time and if so, in what order should that be done. Thanks again!
darkfader

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:15 pm

They would be expected to get along OK. I would introduce them all at once. With fishless cycling with ammonia, your tank will be ready for the full bioload. Allow six weeks.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby darkfader » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:20 pm

I’m 12 days into a fishless cycle. Really enjoying the tank already so thought I’d share. I’m planning on Mbunas once the water is ready. Here are the specs:

110 gal 48x18
Glass tops
FijiCube 20 sump
Eshopps overflow with 1” beananimal style drain
CurrentUSA Satellite Plus Pro 48” LED
Some plants, some wood, some rocks, black diamond sand substrate, eggcrate light diffuser under all that
Tunze Fuge light for plant propagation for another tank
CurrentUSA 1900gph return pump
CurrentUSA wave pump for additional flow in tank
Matala pads for mechanical and fluvall biomax for bio filtration

The water is somewhat hazy and looks a little like tea, I’m assuming because of the large piece of wood which I was unable to boil. It was soaked in a large bin of water for a couple weeks prior to putting it in the tank. I’ll let the cycle run it’s course and hopefully some purigen and water changes will clear things up by the time livestock is introduced.

Ph stays around 7.8-8.0. Ammonia is titrated to around 2.0ppm and nitrate was the highest I’ve seen so far today at 5.0ppm. Looking forward to having everything balance out. Thanks for looking, comments and critiques are welcome!

0880E116-E802-43F1-904E-0D4431575458.jpeg

B8BD75A9-0CA2-40D9-9E34-D8FE5CD1D6D0.jpeg
darkfader

Return to Lake Malawi Species