Switch to full site
Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.
Post a reply

Skittish fish

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:01 pm

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you have had skittish fish to the point where they all hide, even if you sit still in front of the tank and wait? I have a group of OB peacocks in a 90 gallon tank, and all of the fish hide beind the rock pile if anyone enters the room. The dominant male is one of the most skittish fish. Has anyone experienced this to this degree, and if so, how did they fix it?

Tank has been established for 10 months or so now.

Re: Skittish fish

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:08 pm

How many fish are in the tank? My fish have gotten over being skittish if there are enough fish in the tank. And there could be one terrorizing the others...how many of the OBs are male?

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:11 pm

We see this when the number of fish in the tank is low.

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:36 am

Currently there are 12 peacocks total. 4 of which are small juvies. 1 dominant male and 2 sub dominant males, which are just starting to be distinctive. I feel like the tank is overstocked. I do 50% waterchanges weekly which keeps my water parameters in check. The dominant male is fairly aggressive, but he is also the most shy when I approach the tank...

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:47 am

With mixed gender and all one species in a 75G try 20 fish...1m:19f. That should get them comfortable.

If you are going all-male 12 would work but you would want one of each species and no look-alike fish.
Post a reply