Lake Malawi Species • 75 gallon Stocking Questions

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

75 gallon Stocking Questions

Postby Foot Doc » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:07 am

Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for any input and suggestions. I have already read the libraries on this site and they were very useful, but I have some stocking questions.

I am a long-time fish keeper (1984!) and have preferred doing regional bio-type setups as I got more involved. I have done 75gallon Asian planted tank (C02, etc.), also a 75g planted tank with tetras. I have also bred live bearers (30g), cherry shrimp (20g), and even shell dwellers/multies (40g). I had up to 7 tanks going at once at one point, but that was in my bachelor days. I have since gotten married and have 3 kids, so as I gradually phased out I would put the tanks and equipment in storage. My children are showing interest and are trusted enough to not pull apart canisters/hoses (my youngest is 3 years old) and I would like to get back in to the hobby. A lot has changed in the equipment in the 6 years I was gone (lighting is cheap now!), but the fundamentals are the same -- so I am ok on cycling, fish health, equipment, etc. But since this is my first forage into African Cichlids (save for the species-only shellie tank I had), I have some questions.

I will be using a 75 gallon tank (48 x 18 footprint) with sand substrate and Texas Holey rock and one piece of driftwood for decor. My water is very hard, so I am not concerned about pH.

My access to Cichlids from the LFS is also limited, but I am thinking of going with the following:

- Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Labs)
- Pseudotropheus ("Acei")
- Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusty)

What would be a good number for an active and relatively peaceful tank setup?

Thanks again,

- Foot Doc
Foot Doc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 75 gallon Stocking Questions

Postby Foot Doc » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:54 pm

What would be a good number with a male to female ratio on the following for the 75 gallon tank (48x18)

- Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Labs)
- Pseudotropheus ("Acei")
- Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusty)

thanks!
Foot Doc

Re: 75 gallon Stocking Questions

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:44 pm

1m:6f of each.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue