Lake Malawi Species • Flavus or Lion's Cove?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Flavus or Lion's Cove?

Postby HKistler13 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:11 pm

I have white top afra haras in a 100 gallon tank but want to add some yellow. I am set on the flavus or lion's cove. Which would you stock?
HKistler13

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Flavus or Lion's Cove?

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:55 pm

Yellow labs because the females are colorful, as opposed to the flavus.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby noki » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:33 am

If you mean Cynotilapia "Lions Cove" you probably should go for the Flavus since the Lion's Cove should be closer related to the Hara, so with the Flavus there might be less competition between males or courting females of the other species. With those fish there is no guarantee that all the males would color up fully.

Yellow Labs would be even less related, and no worry about BB males competing with each other for dominance. More color, maybe more boring. It depends on what you want.
noki

Postby BlueSunshine » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:32 am

Have you thought about the zebra "kawanga gold" ??
BlueSunshine

Postby HKistler13 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:41 pm

DJRansome wrote:Yellow labs because the females are colorful, as opposed to the flavus.

I know the labs would work but I want something more unique to be honest.
HKistler13

Postby HKistler13 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:42 pm

noki wrote:If you mean Cynotilapia "Lions Cove" you probably should go for the Flavus since the Lion's Cove should be closer related to the Hara, so with the Flavus there might be less competition between males or courting females of the other species. With those fish there is no guarantee that all the males would color up fully.

Yellow Labs would be even less related, and no worry about BB males competing with each other for dominance. More color, maybe more boring. It depends on what you want.

I want something a little more unique than the yellow lab to be honest.
HKistler13

Postby HKistler13 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:44 pm

BlueSunshine wrote:Have you thought about the zebra "kawanga gold" ??

Those look awesome, do you know where I could order some?
HKistler13

Postby noki » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:19 pm

HKistler13 wrote:
noki wrote:If you mean Cynotilapia "Lions Cove" you probably should go for the Flavus since the Lion's Cove should be closer related to the Hara, so with the Flavus there might be less competition between males or courting females of the other species. With those fish there is no guarantee that all the males would color up fully.

So did you want the Cynotilapia "Lions Cove"? I understand that you want something different from the monochromic common Yellow Lab. You just have to be aware that both the Hara and a yellow BB Mbuna may or may not color up fully. The yellow Zebra might intimidate the Hara, or the Hara might remain dominant and the Zebra wouldn't show much color, or they may ignore each other and both look fine. Cichlids are fun, they are not simple and completely predictable.
noki

Postby BlueSunshine » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:56 pm

Here is a picture of one of our male and female kawanga gold.

Male
owens birthday party 6-9-19 978.jpg

Female
owens birthday party 6-9-19 979.jpg
BlueSunshine

Postby HKistler13 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:14 am

noki wrote:
HKistler13 wrote:

So did you want the Cynotilapia "Lions Cove"? I understand that you want something different from the monochromic common Yellow Lab. You just have to be aware that both the Hara and a yellow BB Mbuna may or may not color up fully. The yellow Zebra might intimidate the Hara, or the Hara might remain dominant and the Zebra wouldn't show much color, or they may ignore each other and both look fine. Cichlids are fun, they are not simple and completely predictable.

I was thinking to get the cynotilapia but I totally agree with your statement!
HKistler13

Postby HKistler13 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:15 am

BlueSunshine wrote:Here is a picture of one of our male and female kawanga gold.

Male
owens birthday party 6-9-19 978.jpg

Female
owens birthday party 6-9-19 979.jpg

Those are some gorgeous fish, do you know of any websites that sell them?
HKistler13

Return to Lake Malawi Species