Lake Malawi Species • 125 gallon tank - help to lower stock level

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

125 gallon tank - help to lower stock level

Postby rookie-cichlid1978 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:09 pm

hello,
my 125g just completed 2 full years as my first aquarium. It has been quite the learning experience taking care of and watching my fish grow up from tiny 1.5" juvies. I went with a heavy overstock and a heavy filtration of FX6 and Cascade 1500 plus a Whisper 150 running a XL Hydor sponge. Starting stock was 6-8 juvies of P.electra, P.acei Luwala Reef, L.caeruleus, C.borleyi red fin, A.latisfasciata, A.stuartgranti Maleri, S.lucipinnis.

I am now 2 years in and most of the fish have grown bigger and lost a few fish along the way as well.

Down to 3 yellow labs (i got the killer male in my juvie group), 3 lucipinnis and 6 each of the rest. Long story short, I have two big issues. The borleyi are the biggest fish and some of the Maleri have not grown much and none have colored up beyond a microscopic amount of yellow on the dorsal fin tips.
The second is that my nitrate load is no longer manageable (hitting 40ppm with 3-4 days of a 50% WC) even with multiple anubias mother plants as well as golden pothos with just the roots in the water.

I could use some advice from the experts on the best way to rehome some of the fish and create a smaller bioload that retains the fun factor of this living room show tank. I have seen a lot of 1m:4f posts but wanted to ensure that my next steps are positive for the fish.

thank you!!
125g: latifasciata, borleyi, stuartgranti(maleri), caeruleus, acei, electra, lucipinnis
36g: P.scalare; 29g: N.brevis; 75g: N.caudopunctatus
rookie-cichlid1978

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 125 gallon tank - help to lower stock level

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:51 am

1m:4f of each and eliminate the maleri. Then see how your nitrites are doing. Also increase to 75% weekly water change.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby rookie-cichlid1978 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:33 am

Thanks DJR - is the removal of maleri due to incompatibility with current stock? I also only have 3 yellow labs (1m:2f) - keep them or remove them as well?
125g: latifasciata, borleyi, stuartgranti(maleri), caeruleus, acei, electra, lucipinnis
36g: P.scalare; 29g: N.brevis; 75g: N.caudopunctatus
rookie-cichlid1978

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:12 pm

The maleri are the ones that are not doing well. Keep the yellow labs to get your yellow in the tank. 1m:4f. With the size of the borleyi, four species in a 72" tank is enough to manage aggression.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species