Lake Malawi Species • Yellow lab holding

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Yellow lab holding

Postby Bob19 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:46 am

Little confused about this...
I have a yellow lab who I assumed was holding, jaw was bulging, could see the eggs in her mouth when she was looking right at you, and she didn’t eat for a few weeks and I also watched her and a male doing the dance awhile back. Yesterday morning she didn’t eat as well but yesterday afternoon she was up at the top eating all she could.
Her jaw is now looking like the rest of the mbunas and can’t see any eggs in her mouth now but there are no fry around her or hiding anywhere I can see, but she still is hanging out in the rocks during the day. Now is it possible she got so hungry she ended up eating them? Or is it also possible that the other fish ate them up that quick?....she would be a first time mother since I’ve only had these fish for a month and a half. Any information or experiences anyone has would be appreciated. If you need more info I will gladly try and provide it for you.

Thanks in advance
Bob19

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Yellow lab holding

Postby DJRansome » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:37 pm

All of the above. Most likely is that they were not fertilized so she swallowed them when they did not develop. But she also could have spit...the other fish eat the fry the moment they are spit. I have seen adults hovering around the mother when she is about to spit...waiting like vultures.

If you want to save fry, have a cycled fry tank ready and put the mom in the separate tank before she spits. Also remove her within 24 hours after she spits or she herself will start eating them.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: Yellow lab holding

Postby ironspider » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:38 am

Bob19 wrote:Little confused about this...
I have a yellow lab who I assumed was holding, jaw was bulging, could see the eggs in her mouth when she was looking right at you, and she didn’t eat for a few weeks and I also watched her and a male doing the dance awhile back. Yesterday morning she didn’t eat as well but yesterday afternoon she was up at the top eating all she could.
Her jaw is now looking like the rest of the mbunas and can’t see any eggs in her mouth now but there are no fry around her or hiding anywhere I can see, but she still is hanging out in the rocks during the day. Now is it possible she got so hungry she ended up eating them? Or is it also possible that the other fish ate them up that quick?....she would be a first time mother since I’ve only had these fish for a month and a half. Any information or experiences anyone has would be appreciated. If you need more info I will gladly try and provide it for you.

Thanks in advance

If you have a lot of rock work it's possible one or two may be hiding, every time one of mine spit I think they all got eaten but then I'll see a lone survivor emerge. Do what DJ recommends, once they start they never stop and your tank will soon get over populated.
ironspider

Return to Lake Malawi Species