Lake Malawi Species • 75g Peacock stocking advice please

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

75g Peacock stocking advice please

Postby CorleoneAquatics » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:08 pm

I have recently purchased about 13 peacocks cichlids from <vendor name removed> about 2 weeks ago. Everyone is getting along extremely well. It is not all males. I was curious if there was any insight to if I should try and add more before they grow up if aggression is certain. Or if just watching them grow and move accordingly would be best. My hope was to eventually put in 1-2 more gaps as kind of the centerpieces. But I really am very happy with my current stock and their personalities. So I am mostly just curious if there is a consensus that aggression is inevitable and maybe I should just get a few more peacocks and watch everyone grow. (This has been my first time keeping African cichlids) Thank you in advance!
Last edited by DJRansome on Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cichlid-forum would like to keep review-type information out of the forums, and in the Reviews section instead.
CorleoneAquatics

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 75g Peacock stocking advice please

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:36 am

Do you want an all-male tank?

Malawi ideally are in harem groups with 1m:4f of each species. Problems if you keep Malawi with not enough females:
1-males will kill females by constant chasing to spawn
2-peacocks will cross breed, so you will have unwanted hybrid fry
3-males may kill each other by constant chasing them AWAY from the scarce females

If you can ID the females now I would put them in a separate tank (don't sell or give away) and buy your male haps and peacocks NOW. You don't want to add one-two fish because the existing residents will gang up on the newcomer and may kill him.

If you want mixed gender, choose one peacock species per tank because they crossbreed and once mixed, you will not be able to ID the separate species. Plus unwanted hybrid fry. Think in terms of 4 species in a 75G. For the other species, choose haps or peaceful mbuna like yellow labs and acei.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby CorleoneAquatics » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:43 pm

I did not really have a preference on all male or not. I would like to have a bit of a variety tho so perhaps my hands are tied in that regard. And in terms of sex I can at least safely say 4 are males. And 5 are almost certainly female (3 OB, 2 red Jacob) the 2 males are one of each and then an Apache and fireblood. There are 2 more fire blood that I am unsure. And a male sunshine peacock.
CorleoneAquatics

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:52 pm

So for all-male (max variety) remove females and duplicates and any males that look alike. It is hard to find 12 peacocks that look nothing alike. Consider adding haps to get your numbers.
75G Calvus, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby CorleoneAquatics » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:43 pm

I have successfully removed the obvious females, and am down to 14 Haps/Peacocks. Everyone is back to happy and hungry all the time. Also rescaped a bit to make more room for swimming. Everyone seems to love it.
CorleoneAquatics

Postby Slow-n-Steady » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:30 pm

What size are the fish currently?

Also, just be warned. Although an all male tank may be peaceful at the moment, that can change drastically at the drop of a dime. Mine was very peaceful for months, then one hap turned into a terrorist lol. I then removed him, and then another took over... removed him, and then another took over. I removed him and added a few more fish and now it's extremely peaceful.. but I'm expecting that to change lol.

I've been pretty patient and it's been worth it, the tank is gorgeous.. but I think I would have considered a mix tank for peace of mind. Again it's been worth it, just sharing. Good luck!
Slow-n-Steady

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:00 pm

It's a good idea to expect two years of tinkering to achieve a peaceful tank with luck and patience.
75G Calvus, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby ken31cay » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:16 pm

What size tank? In my 180gal all male peacock/hap tank when they approached adult size about half turned ballistic one after another. Had to keep taking the trouble ones to the pet store. Bought some more peacocks/haps, had peace for a time, then trouble again. It was an experience and nice while I had that tank. But sounds like yours are still young so you should have months before you have war in your tank hopefully.
450gal male peacocks & haps, Frontosa
180gal Trewavasae Chilumba & Kenyi
ken31cay

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:25 pm

Well don't forget you can't ID them as male until they are sexually mature...so you don't have as long while they are still unsexed juveniles.
75G Calvus, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby CorleoneAquatics » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:11 pm

My tank is 75 Gallons. And everyone but one hap is about 3-4 inches. And thankfully I do have some cycled tanks on standby in the event of an emergency. My LFS is also a 5 minute drive so anyone who may need rehomed it’s a very easy trip.
CorleoneAquatics

Postby Kipnlilo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:25 pm

DJRansome wrote:It's a good idea to expect two years of tinkering to achieve a peaceful tank with luck and patience.

And that’s a big amen! And don’t think for a minute just because something does or doesn’t work in their tank, it will or won’t work in yours. It’s a lot of trial and error. All male tanks are work for sure, but worth it, to me at least.
125G x2 Male Hap Peacock Mbuna
55G Female Hap Peacock
40G Mbuna
10G Hospital
:fish: :fish: :fish:
Kipnlilo

Return to Lake Malawi Species