Cichlid Fish Forum banner

help identifying female/male peacock

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  noki 
#1 ·
What does everything think of the below peacocks.Female or Male? *** had them both for over 6 months. All are 2.5inch (6cm), they haven't grown at all in 6 months yet still eating well.

Im leaning towards female but every time i look at them im wondering if they are still too young to determine. Tried venting them and have no idea.

Any help much appreciated!!

20190601_203816.jpg

20190601_203645.jpg

See less See more
#2 ·
How often are you feeding them. How big is the tank they're in? They look healthy enough but I'm not sure what you meant when you said 'they haven't grown at all in six months'.

They're still small but if I had to guess I'd say the top fish is a female and the bottom could be a male.

#3 ·
A male colouring up depends on the tankmates. If there are bigger, coloured up males in the tank, they may color up very slowly. If you have rough Mbuna they may be intimidated. If there are not any mature males in the tank, they should be female, a male should rise up by now.
Upper fish... looks like a "Yellow" type like Maleri but impossible to tell if pure, probably not.
Lower fish... looks like an unnatural hybrid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.