Lake Malawi Species • 75 g tank, need advice/suggestions for adding fish

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

75 g tank, need advice/suggestions for adding fish

Postby Markye247 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:14 pm

Hi Cichlid lovers,

I would really appreciate everyone that can help with advice/suggestions on what additional type of fish I should add to my already established tank.
I have a 75g tank, a Fluval 406 filtration, 79 degrees, 7.9 PH
Currently have:
3 Red Zibra cichlids (Maylandia esthera), around 2-4”
2 Kenyi Cichlid (Metriaclima lombardoi), around 2”
2 Giraffe Cichlids (Nimbochromis Venustus), around 2”

I am pretty sure I have 1 female & 2 males w the zibra. Too early to tell the sex on the other ones. There is no aggression in the tank for now, even though I just lost a male zibra which I was surprised. Not sure what happened.
Would love to add more fish, so maybe a different type of Malawa, peacock, or adding a few more of what I already have? I know about the male vs female counts, but it’s hard to tell the sex while they are still juveniles so I’m buying these fish blind.

Any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated.
Markye247

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 75 g tank, need advice/suggestions for adding fish

Postby Kipnlilo » Sat May 25, 2019 9:38 pm

I wouldn’t add Peacocks of any kind imo. Fact is, I’m not sure the 2” Venustus will be safe with a 4 in Red Zebra. (I’ve seen crazier things work though) The Red Zebra and Kenyi are very aggressive. I think you may have hit the nail on the head when you said “no aggression in the tank for now”, keep an eye out. Do you have a lot of rock work/ hiding places? Pics? DJ and others should be able to help you more. What is your footprint on the 75?
125G x2 Male Hap Peacock Mbuna
55G Female Hap Peacock
40G Mbuna
10G Hospital
:fish: :fish: :fish:
Kipnlilo

Postby DJRansome » Sat May 25, 2019 10:38 pm

The venustus need a 72" tank so rehome them right away. The red zebras are also metriaclima so I would not stock both the estherae and the lombardoi in one tank.

In a 75G that is 48x18 you could have up to 4 species with 1m:4f of each. Choose different genera and fish that look nothing alike. Do not have less than 4 females so if you are keeping the red zebras I would buy 8 unsexed juveniles and rehome any extra males as they mature and cause trouble.

Avoid yellow labs with red zebras. How about 1m:4f acei and white labs and Cynotilapia zebroides cobue?
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Markye247 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:17 pm

Thanks for replying!

Kipnlilo, why not peacocks? I do have a lot of rock work and hiding places. Don’t understand your last question.

DJ, why do the Venutus need a 72” tank, cause they get much bigger & need a bigger tank? The fishes you recommended sounds great, but I don’t usually see them at a LFS. What is the best option to get these types of fishes when they are not readily available in stores? What is the places you go to? I just don’t want to pay such a high price for shipping if it’s from a website.
So I should get about 8 unsexed juveniles and rehome most the males when they mature, if i don’t have the space to rehome them, do you generally give it back to the store or trade?
Markye247

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:37 pm

Markye247 wrote: why not peacocks?
The fish you already have are too aggressive for peacocks.

Markye247 wrote: Don’t understand your last question.
Footprint means measurements length and width. A 75G is usually a 48" x 18" rectangle but not always.

Markye247 wrote: why do the Venutus need a 72” tank, cause they get much bigger & need a bigger tank?
This is a 10" fish. For a 48" tank you usually want to stock fish that mature at 6" or less.

Markye247 wrote: I just don’t want to pay such a high price for shipping if it’s from a website.
If you price it out, you will find that the cost/fish online is so much lower than at the LFS, that even with shipping you will pay less. Plus it is the only way to get quality and selection.

Markye247 wrote: So I should get about 8 unsexed juveniles and rehome most the males when they mature
Yes

Markye247 wrote: do you generally give it back to the store or trade?
Bring them to an auction, sell to a fellow hobbyist or some good-quality LFS will take the fish for store credit at the wholesale price (1/3 what they charge). You can rehome an online fish with an LFS...they usually like the high quality.
75G Calvus, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Markye247 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:49 pm

Thank you!
Do you have any recommendations of a website that u buy from?
Markye247

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:58 pm

We like to keep that info in PM or Retailers. I will send you a PM.
75G Calvus, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Markye247 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:46 pm

One last thing, so the 2 unsexed kenyi I have, should I go by more and just keep most of the femails? Also, the 3 red zebras, 1 f, 2 m, should I go buy more f or unsexed juveniles & at the same time rehome the 1 m? If yes on rehomeing the m, should it be the larger or smaller m?
Markye247

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:30 pm

You would choose either the red zebras or the kenyi but not both. I gave the suggestion above of 1m:4f each of the red zebra, acei, white labs and Cynotilapia zebroides cobue.

That would mean yes, if you keep the red zebras you would buy more unsexed juveniles and rehome extra males as they mature. If you are sure you have 2 red zebra males you could rehome one or both at the same time, yes.

If you choose the kenyi and get rid of the red zebras, go 1m:7f and limit your tank to only 3 species.
75G Calvus, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Markye247 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:56 am

Thank you for the great advice, really appreciate it!
Markye247

Return to Lake Malawi Species