Lake Malawi Species • OB question...

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

OB question...

Postby Adamw1109 » Sun May 19, 2019 6:50 am

Hi everyone.

I've been keeping malawi cichlids for a good few months now, I have a hap/peacock tank a mixture of species male and female. All my fish have came from the same breeder... I added a male 'OB peacock' to my tank a couple of months ago that wants to just breed with whatever he lays his eyes on.

Being relatively new to the hobby, I wanted to get more info on where the OB actually comes from ( i know its basically a 'certified hybrid' as such, but I've read ALOT of different things with them that kind of counteract each other ).

Also I would like to know what the fry would come out like if i were to let him breed as he is trying to breed with a couple of different species... would they come out as OB's or would they just be a random type of hybrid which should be avoided?

My main reason for asking is I want to avoid getting hybrids as i have two other tanks that I use for holding fry but I dont want a fry tank full of hybrids with no way of moving them on.

Thanks in advance for any information, all info is appreciated :thumb:
Adamw1109

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: OB question...

Postby DJRansome » Sun May 19, 2019 10:09 am

Certified? LOL.

If I were into OB peacocks, I would not buy fry that were a mix of OB and "pure".

Whereas if I were into OB peacocks I would look for fry that were from parents that were both OB and had been breeding true for many generations.

Your fry could be all solid...or a mix. To some extent it would depend on whether your male has been breeding true for many generations or is himself half OB and half something else.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Deeda » Sun May 19, 2019 10:53 am

Adam, you can also check out the Library in the Peacock Corner as there are 2 articles about OB peacocks that may be helpful to you.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby woowoo678 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:53 am

Deeda, thank you for sharing those articles. Great source of information.
woowoo678

Postby Deeda » Tue May 21, 2019 9:27 pm

You are very welcome!! There are quite a few articles in the Library on all different topics that have been submitted by members over the years. Also check out the Species Profiles section for info and some profiles link to articles.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Return to Lake Malawi Species