Lake Malawi Species • Venustus question?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: Venustus question?

Postby TTUhouston » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Blue on the face = male

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
150g VC10, Nimbochromis Venustus, Protomelas sp. Hertae, Aulonocara Stuartgranti
90g Chindongo Saulosi, Labidochromis sp. Hongi SRT
TTUhouston

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Kipnlilo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:41 pm

ironspider wrote:
Kipnlilo wrote:
I don't know if it's male.

I’m not the Venustus expert as you can tell from my above posts. All I can say for sure is, they all look the same until they get some size on them. It’s a hurry up and wait game. Lol! Yours look smaller, how big are they?

4.5"-5" I'd say

Is that blue on the lower lip of the one on the right?
125G x2 Male Hap Peacock Mbuna
55G Female Hap Peacock
40G Mbuna
10G Hospital
:fish: :fish: :fish:
Kipnlilo

Postby master chi » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:58 pm

What I did was remove all venustus from 125 with mbuna. Placed them in their own 75. In 1 hour the presumed male I was unsure about had colored up,and had made his dominance clear. The large female has completely subbed to him now. Of course Not everyone has the extra tank space to do this,but if you do,you should try. I believe that between the male being younger and smaller than the large female,and being in a tank with 3 mbuna species was too much for the male to get over. Once in a new tank,he was able to establish himself right away. Of the 2 facors,I believe that being in a tank with mbuna was the most detrimental.but it's just an opinion. I have no real science to back that up.The male is only about 4-5 inches,and his color is still younger male/transition in appearance,but he does have clear blue in his face and body. He does lack the strong yellow blaze along the top of his head,and his color is more dim than that of Venustus males I've seen in other tanks. Nonetheless,I've now confirmed his gender,and based on my previous observations it is clear that his anal fin does in fact come to more of a squared point,way less rounded than the females.It may be a good way to help you determine who is male/female in your tank. You'll need to watch closely. It's only apparent when the fin is fully "fanned out". Compare to all the specimens to try and notice a clear difference. I'm not saying this is a sure fire way to ID gender,but it did seem to hold true for mine.So my previous suggestion of changing things up holds to be a proven way to induce males to show,but how you go about it could also effect the desired outcome. I.E you could try removing the mbuna from your tank,and move the rocks around. Maybe that would be enough to allow a possible male to grab a higher spot in the tank.
125G-Red Zebras,Acei,White Top Hara,Rusties,Venustus,Syno Multipunctatus
55G-Yellow Lab,Cobalt Zebras,Maingano,Syno Luccipinis
75G- Likely to become a JD,Firemouth,Convict set up... WIP..
master chi

Postby Kipnlilo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:19 pm

Thanks for the information, but in the last two weeks since I posted the last pics of it, the anal fin has started to point and the lower jaw is starting to get a longer thin blue line. Depending on the mood, it’s more noticeable, especially at feeding time. I’m now pretty certain it’s going to be male. I’ve changed my mind more times than you could imagine. Lol! But the blue is definitely coming in now. I’ll wait until it’s real noticeable and then post a few pics. Thanks again to all who have replied.
55G Female Hap Peacock
40G Mbuna
10G Hospital
Kipnlilo

Postby Kipnlilo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:51 pm

Well, as promised. I tried to get a better pic today after feeding when “he” went after another fish in his favorite spot. He was hauling #*’#@* to get there turning on the young color that’s starting to come in. I caught him right as he stopped. It’s a bit blurry as I chased him across the tank to get it.

0E832436-525F-45A1-9D2A-0879EDFC6ED6.jpeg
55G Female Hap Peacock
40G Mbuna
10G Hospital
Kipnlilo

Postby Kipnlilo » Sat May 25, 2019 10:05 pm

Another 2 months has passed. Look what emerged! I think he’s going to turn out fairly nice. When he turns on the charm, you can barely see any spots/blotches and lots of yellow body.

FD04255A-B7EA-4947-8F9C-B29CB90DA3A4.jpeg
55G Female Hap Peacock
40G Mbuna
10G Hospital
Kipnlilo

Postby master chi » Fri May 31, 2019 5:28 pm

looking nice!!!
125G-Red Zebras,Acei,White Top Hara,Rusties,Venustus,Syno Multipunctatus
55G-Yellow Lab,Cobalt Zebras,Maingano,Syno Luccipinis
75G- Likely to become a JD,Firemouth,Convict set up... WIP..
master chi

Postby Kipnlilo » Fri May 31, 2019 9:50 pm

Thanks! I’ll give it another couple months and I’ll post another pic and see the difference.
55G Female Hap Peacock
40G Mbuna
10G Hospital
Kipnlilo

Previous

Return to Lake Malawi Species