Lake Malawi Species • I have my 1st female holding!

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

I have my 1st female holding!

Postby Bernese » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:55 pm

My question is how long do they hold the eggs before hatching? Then how long do they carry & allow them to run back to their mouth before leaving them on their on? Thirdly what will they be if he bred to a OB Zebra? I thought the OB was a male, Oops!
I had One baby turn up almost 2 yrs ago in a mixed Mbuna Tank where nothing was the same species, I thought? It was all by itself & it was about 1/3 inch. I just happen to see it dart out & back in real quick! So I started to search for anymore & apparently they had all gotten eaten up except for this 1 which was big enough that the mother wasn't interested anymore bc we could never figure out who it belong to? Like I said they were all different & it just so happened that this one female who was real big & even looked old & she actually died not long after but she was a very pale cream color almost to the point where you could almost see thru part of her back half of her body? I really didn't care for her at all but it was kind of a pkg deal/take all thing. I did have a Red Zebra but he was fairly young & I didn't even know he was a male, never saw any kind of courting etc?
Well we called this baby fish Radar bc he was so smart to have survived being eaten & when anything got remotely close he would dart into this tiny hole he had found. Lol! As he grew he resembled that mother fish but had a little more creamy color to him. He grew up to be a very pretty male but I had figured his daddy was this Ice Blue Zebra with the Orange Top & Tail Fin bc he had taken on just a hint of a orange in his Tail Fin?
Well I was looking at some photos the other day & I saw where it looked just like him & it said Metriaclima estherae (O), Red Zebra Cichlid. What does that mean? It is definately him, so that means that older female that he looked like was that type too & that the young Red Zebra was his father? I have posted his pic.

This is the female holding, couldn't get a good pic!

30g Metriaclima callainos (Pearl & Blue), Jalo Reef Afra, Maingano, Lace Synodontis & Yoyo Loach
55g All Male Mbuna/Hap/Peacock, Lucipinnis, RN Pleco & Red Tail Shark
5g Male Betta & Otocinclus
Bernese

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: I have my 1st female holding!

Postby DJRansome » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:53 pm

Average holding is 28 days. Mine never really do the in-out of mouth thing...the babies want out and won't go back. The mom tries for a day or so and then you remove her so she does not actually eat them.

Hybrid perhaps?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species