Lake Malawi Species • Hi all! 5th & final!!! tank but now aggression problem.

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Hi all! 5th & final!!! tank but now aggression problem.

Postby CJ-Bodhi » Sat May 21, 2016 1:36 pm

Hi fellow Cichlid fanatics. I've just joined but have been keeping Malawi's for about 5 years. I've just upgraded to my 5th & definitely final tank, 180 x 50 X 65.
(Once I figure the site out I'll upload some pic's & info)
I have started having terrible trouble with an adult male Maylandia Greshakei & a Ps. Elongatus Mpanga. (They change the names so many times I give up). They're of an equal size, about 5", but since transferring them to the new tank they fight at every opportunity. In my 4ft tank they just seemed to each take control of one half of the aquarium. I've separated them now & have no idea what to do?
I've had to save hard to get 'my perfect tank', recreating a natural habitat etc. I'm in the process of re-hardscaping to create even more caves, places to explore etc. Ideally, nowadays, I wouldn't keep them together but I've had them both since they were juvies, so I am quite fond of them both. Apart from that I'm at a total loss? Should I just leave them to sort out who's boss?
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
CJ :fish:
CJ-Bodhi

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Hi all! 5th & final!!! tank but now aggression problem.

Postby DJRansome » Sat May 21, 2016 1:51 pm

Are your measurements in centimeters? So the tank is about 72" x 18"?

What are the other stock mates? How many of each? I assume you have all-male mbuna, one of each species and no look alikes?

Sometimes you just have an individual that doesn't get along and you have to rehome him so at least you can enjoy the others.

You have already tried aquascaping...if you need more fish that helps sometimes...but we need to know how many first.

No females masquerading as males?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby CJ-Bodhi » Sun May 22, 2016 1:08 am

Of course! Bigger tank, less density in population!!!! How stupid am I? Need more fish! Plus the red top & mpanga are maybe a little too similar!
Yes DJ, in cm. Sorry can't do inches! It not an all male mbuna tank. I have tried to do that with my old stock (getting tired of them breeding!) but I've got a few females left & I've just introduced small shoals of juvenile red zebras, maingano, yellow labs, rusty's & Socolofi. I have some rescue fish to re-home too. 4 Strawberry Peacocks, 4 Giraffe Cichlids (I know
CJ-Bodhi

Postby DJRansome » Sun May 22, 2016 9:19 am

Oh. Well with mixed gender and less than ideal ratios you will expect to have aggression. Also with multiple metriaclima...aggression.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species