Lake Malawi Species • Stocking and upgrade question

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: Stocking and upgrade question

Postby aausa1983 » Fri May 06, 2016 5:27 pm

Aaron S wrote:if you pre-soak the pellets and put them in front of a filter return then they will sink much faster and give more food to those fish that do not like to come to the top of the surface. In my tank currently, all my cichlids are afraid of the top of the water and wait for the pellets to sink. Oddly enough my syno's will periodically eat the pellets off the surface while the cichlids watch in horror of the brave little catfish stealing their food.

Lol. Good idea btw. Not surprisingly, the 4 or so fish that don't come to the top much are the ones I bought a few weeks ago online so I think they're still adjusting and getting used to where their food source comes from.
aausa1983
aausa1983

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DJRansome » Fri May 06, 2016 5:29 pm

I can't imagine them sinking faster than they do without presoaking. If you really want to blast them to the bottom put them in front of the filter outflow.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby dledinger » Fri May 06, 2016 6:52 pm

Yeah....with the exception of the small fish formula, mine sink pretty instantly.
125 Gallon Mbuna
60 Gallon Tropheus Duboisi
65 Gallon Amazon
Too many little tanks to count
dledinger

Postby aausa1983 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:36 am

dledinger wrote:Yeah....with the exception of the small fish formula, mine sink pretty instantly.

As I mentioned, I am using NLS pellets, tetra flakes, and National Geographic Cichlid pellets (sometimes). I know the NLS pellets are a good source of spirulina and that the tetra flakes are a little fatty (not as good for mbuna although some people in the Amazon reviews said they have fed them to mbunas for years). I am going to start feeding them peas once a week. Do you feel the combination of the 3 foods I mentioned above are good in addition to feeding peas? ...or would you go with a specific spirulina such as these?

http://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Star-Intern ... 002DVYBS6/

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Spirulina ... op?ie=UTF8
aausa1983
aausa1983

Postby DJRansome » Sun May 08, 2016 9:40 am

I would feed just the NLS pellets.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby aausa1983 » Sun May 08, 2016 11:29 pm

I will start only feeding NLS pellets along with some actual veggies (e.g. peas) once a week or every couple weeks. As I mentioned, I have a few labs, a few aceis, haps, and peacocks. I know the NLS pellets are good for the mbunas but are they enough for the peacocks and haps? In other words, do the peacocks and haps need more protein or are the NLS pellets sufficient?
aausa1983
aausa1983

Postby DJRansome » Mon May 09, 2016 3:26 pm

NLS is good for all. I've been using it exclusively in all my tanks (see signature) for maybe 8 years.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby aausa1983 » Mon May 09, 2016 4:03 pm

DJRansome wrote:NLS is good for all. I've been using it exclusively in all my tanks (see signature) for maybe 8 years.

Awesome. I already stopped feeding the tetra flakes and the National geographic pellets. In regards to the original purpose of this topic, I'm going to plan on upgrading my tank within a year to a 125 or 150. Given that I'm going to upgrade to a tank twice the current size, do you think it's okay to add more fish to my tank? I am at 14 now (my red zebra died of bloat over the weekend :( ).
aausa1983
aausa1983

Postby DJRansome » Mon May 09, 2016 4:50 pm

First the upgrade, then add fish.

Why did the zebra get bloat? How are you going to deal with the other fish if they get it as well?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby aausa1983 » Mon May 09, 2016 4:58 pm

DJRansome wrote:First the upgrade, then add fish.

Why did the zebra get bloat? How are you going to deal with the other fish if they get it as well?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. My parameters are all good and I do weekly water changes with Prime. I got a 5g tank and bought an aqueon 10 filter along with a heater for it so that I have a hospital tank that's sufficient for 1 or 2 cichlids. I'm going to start cycling it tonight. I bought Clout off of Amazon that should be here in a few days. My other fish look fine and are moving around. The zebra was showing signs such as sitting in the corner and spitting out food. When it wouldn't eat food I realized it was bloat and started acquiring a hospital tank. Lesson learned I guess, especially since I'm new to this. Is there anything you would advise? Should I put clout in my main tank with all the fish?
aausa1983
aausa1983

Postby DJRansome » Mon May 09, 2016 5:07 pm

IME bloat can be diagnosed by not eating AND thready or clear feces. Just not eating can be many diseases. Was it the top corner or the bottom corner?

And I would not treat fish with bloat with clout...I would use metronidazole. I usually DO treat the whole tank because IMO if one fish was being harassed enough to cause a weakened immune system and bloat...then the rest are not far behind. Bloat can take one fish/month until all are gone.

So I definitely would not add fish to the tank...you already have too many and are experiencing issues.

Try a post in the Illness forum about your zebra and trying to figure out next steps.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby aausa1983 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:14 pm

DJRansome wrote:IME bloat can be diagnosed by not eating AND thread or clear feces. Just not eating can be many diseases. Was it the top corner or the bottom corner?

And I would not treat fish with bloat with clout...I would use metronidazole. I usually DO treat the whole tank because IMO if one fish was being harassed enough to cause a weakened immune system and bloat...then the rest are not far behind. Bloat can take one fish/month until all are gone.

So I definitely would not add fish to the tank...you already have too many and are experiencing issues.

Try a post in the Illness forum about your zebra and trying to figure out next steps.

I already posted in the illness forum but haven't heard back. The zebra was in both corners top and bottom. First, the top and then the bottom. Also, I have seen 0 harassment. I saw aggression with a johanni and a bumblebee but removed both. I haven't seen any at all from any fish since removing them.
aausa1983
aausa1983

Postby DJRansome » Mon May 09, 2016 5:29 pm

Harassment is often not seen. A fish in the top corner is being harassed. If he is not eating he has gotten sick. I will look in Illness and see if I can respond.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby aausa1983 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:34 pm

DJRansome wrote:Harassment is often not seen. A fish in the top corner is being harassed. If he is not eating he has gotten sick. I will look in Illness and see if I can respond.

Possibly. Late last week I threw a flake along with a couple pellets. He tried eating them but then spit them out. Thanks for the reply.
aausa1983
aausa1983

Postby aausa1983 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:49 pm

Getting back to the original question about the number of cichlids in my 65g (3 ft length), I know that the max for this tank is around 15. However, if I'm going to upgrade within a year, do you think it's okay to add more now? In other words, I know it would not be a good idea to add more fish to my current tank if I planned on keeping them in this tank long term but would like to be able to move more fish to the larger, future tank in the near future.
aausa1983
aausa1983

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Malawi Species