Lake Malawi Species • Who spawned in your tank today ?!!!!

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: Who spawned in your tank today ?!!!!

Postby wryan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:57 pm

Last night when I went down to turn the lights out in the fish room, I thought:

"Well it's been around 30 days ... the BNP's might be due to spawn again ..."

Sure enough, this morning when I went down, there was a mass of eggs in the back corner, same place as before ... :D

Another BNP spawn.jpg

The fry from the last spawn seem to be doing fine ... feeding them French Cut green beans supplemented with a little ground up Omega One Cichlid Pellets/Veggie Rounds.

They are in the same 20G Long tank and are probably 3/4" long or so at this point ... I haven't noted any losses.
wryan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:37 pm

wryan wrote:Last night when I went down to turn the lights out in the fish room, I thought:

"Well it's been around 30 days ... the BNP's might be due to spawn again ..."

Sure enough, this morning when I went down, there was a mass of eggs in the back corner, same place as before ... :D

Another BNP spawn.jpg

The fry from the last spawn seem to be doing fine ... feeding them French Cut green beans supplemented with a little ground up Omega One Cichlid Pellets/Veggie Rounds.

They are in the same 20G Long tank and are probably 3/4" long or so at this point ... I haven't noted any losses.

Thanks for keeping this thread 'alive' wyran. I love your enthusiasm, for sure.

Had a young group of P. Phenochilus Tanzanians spawn for the 1st time x3.
Pretty sure I have J. Transcripus Gombe x 3 different pairs
And spawning now are a group of L. sp. Hongi 'Deluxe,' which is just another name for SRT, but out of Germany. They're the best strain I've kept. Ridiculous coloration, at 2" or so, give or take.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby wryan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:27 pm

Iggy Newcastle wrote:Thanks for keeping this thread 'alive' wyran. I love your enthusiasm, for sure.

My pleasure. I suppose I'm like a kid with a new(ly rediscovered) toy ... :D

Iggy Newcastle wrote:Had a young group of P. Phenochilus Tanzanians spawn for the 1st time x3.

Awesome ... beautiful fish ... :thumb:

Iggy Newcastle wrote:Pretty sure I have J. Transcripus Gombe x 3 different pairs
And spawning now are a group of L. sp. Hongi 'Deluxe,' which is just another name for SRT, but out of Germany. They're the best strain I've kept. Ridiculous coloration, at 2" or so, give or take.

:thumb:

(Best in what way ?)

I rehomed two really beautiful S. fryeri males yesterday. To catch them I had to remove the rocks from the 55G tank they were in (with the adult yellow labs) ... so the tank got rearranged, did a pwc, etc.

This morning when I went to feed that tank one of the yellow labs was holding ... :D

The S. fryeri were from a group of 6 I got awhile back ... two of them colored up, but 3 were larger than the others. This past week the one larger one that hadn't colored up started to show some color. I'm hoping I guessed right (in getting rid of the two males that were colored up) and that this "late bloomer" is really a male.
wryan

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:22 pm

Just in terms of the amount of color they are showing at such a small size. Females as well.

If the Fryeri is showing any blue, it's likely a male. Sounds like you're good. Sometimes you can catch a slight blue haze on a female, especially in natural sunlight. How are they doing with the labs?
Iggy Newcastle

Postby wryan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Iggy Newcastle wrote:Just in terms of the amount of color they are showing at such a small size. Females as well.

Got it.

Iggy Newcastle wrote:If the Fryeri is showing any blue, it's likely a male. Sounds like you're good.

Good to know ... thanks ! :thumb:

Iggy Newcastle wrote:Sometimes you can catch a slight blue haze on a female, especially in natural sunlight.

Yeah, I've seen just slight hints of it on the females. But this larger one has a lot more color:

EBH.jpg

Iggy Newcastle wrote:How are they doing with the labs?

So far so good ... the largest female labs are about the same size as the largest Fryeri ... the male lab is bigger by maybe an inch (5"+)

The largest Fryeri that I kept was probably (recently) the most aggressive of the three ... at least in terms of feeding. It was starting to quarrel with the other two males about a week or so before I got rid of them.

After pulling the rock work the other day everybody is still a little skittish.

This set up/combo is only meant to be temporary. I will need to move the holding female lab before she spits ... otherwise the fry will likely become snacks :D :

YL.jpg
wryan

Postby wryan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:09 pm

The second Yellow Lab female spawned a few days back.

Here's a 3:30 video of that:

I also noticed the smallest P. ace now appears to be holding. I think she's the only one that I have ever seen holding ... which makes me wonder about the other two adults.

The first batch of BNP's have now reached an inch or better. I counted 29 in that group the other day when I fed them.

Here's a video of I took about a week ago of the feeding frenzy with the green beans:

The second batch - which seems smaller number-wise - has become free-swimming as of a couple of days ago.
wryan

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:34 pm

Nice looking Electric Yellows. Was trying to find some quality ones over the weekend at a swap.

Julidichromis Marlieri 'Gombe' fry are pushing out of the nesting site. Referred to these as Transcriptus earlier...
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Stephen88 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:06 am

Auratus, yesterday actually.
Stephen88

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:34 pm

P. sp Phenochilus Tanzania

A bad photo of the young group.
Attachments
20190316_171348.jpg
Iggy Newcastle

Postby wryan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:48 pm

Neolamprologus pulcher, on the back wall, near the bottom, in between the lift tube and the right sponge filter:

Pulcher eggs.jpg

Looks like there are at least 20 eggs or so ... :thumb:
wryan

Postby wryan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:48 pm

Iggy Newcastle wrote:Nice looking Electric Yellows.

Thanks.

Iggy Newcastle wrote:Was trying to find some quality ones over the weekend at a swap.

No luck I take it ?

Iggy Newcastle wrote:Julidichromis Marlieri 'Gombe' fry are pushing out of the nesting site. Referred to these as Transcriptus earlier...

I have some that I bought at a LFS that were sold as Transcriptus ... but they look to me to be Marlieri 'Gombe' ... :roll:
wryan

Postby wryan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:50 pm

Those Star Sapphires look interesting ... :thumb:
wryan

Postby wryan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:40 pm

Neolamprologus pulcher fry are now free-swimming (click image for the big picture, apologies for the dirty front glass):

Pulcher fry.jpg

Feeding infusoria and ground up Omega One Super Color Cichlid pellets.
wryan

Postby ironspider » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:23 am

wryan wrote:Neolamprologus pulcher fry are now free-swimming (click image for the big picture, apologies for the dirty front glass):

Pulcher fry.jpg

Feeding infusoria and ground up Omega One Super Color Cichlid pellets.

They don't get eaten?
ironspider

Postby wryan » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:52 pm

ironspider wrote:They don't get eaten?

They are in a species-only tank ... and the Brichardi complex, which they are a part of, are well known for their parenting skills ... even to the point that others, including juveniles, in a colony will act to care for other offspring.
wryan

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Malawi Species