Lake Malawi Species • Mbuna stocking question

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Mbuna stocking question

Postby chefkevin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:14 pm

So I read the 75 gallon cookie cutter article in the library looking for more ideas on what to stock my first tank with (more info on my planned setup) and have started skimming some other articles and I've found what would seem to be a contradiction to one of the basic guidelines that I had read previously. I have read about "how many fish can go in an "X gallon tank?" and the answer usually is somewhere along the lines of an inch of adult fish per gallon (with exceptions obviously). However the recommendations for stocking some of the malawi tanks, with some of the fish exceeding 7 inches, seems to go way over this guideline. Is it ok to "overstock" these specific fish, or are these "cookie cutters" assuming when these mbuna are full grown that you will move them to a larger tank? Thanks for all the patience and insight everyone has given me so far!

-Kevin
chefkevin

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Cook.MN » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:18 pm

Hey Kevin,

I'm somewhat new to the hobby myself and I had that same question when I was stocking my 55 gallon tank with Cichlids. Basically that rule you read when you google "How many fish can I put in my tank" of 1 inch per 1 gallon...yeah throw that right out the window because it doesn't apply here.

What I did is from that cookie cutter list I kind of made up my own stocking list of what I for sure wanted and then left a few spots for some advice on what would go with what I wanted. The people on this forum were very helpful in giving me a few options and in the end I'm happy with my selection.

As far as stocking in general, I am slightly over stocked but did this on purpose to help with aggression and I had to up my filtration to be able to pull this off. But the moment I became slightly overstocked the better overall my tank was. See, I was having an aggressive Acei issue that by adding 2 more the aggressor spread it out to 3 other fish instead of just the 1 he was constantly picking on.
Cook.MN

Postby cichlidaholic » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:53 pm

Overstocking is usually done in an effort to curb aggression, but you still have to choose what you put in the tank carefully.

Alot of people take the idea of overstocking a tank and run with it, never giving any thought as to what they are housing together. Then when it blows up, they don't understand why...Everyone overstocks... :roll:

The first thing you need to decide is what you want from the tank...

Are you interested in breeding? If so, choose a few species you're interested in, and we can help you figure out what will work together (with minimal risk of crossbreeding) and help you get your numbers right.

If you're interested in one of this and one of that for a colourful tank, you'll want to go with an all male set up.

Also, keep in mind that when overstocking a tank, you have to have great filtration and good tank maintenance habits!

Kim
110G - Perspicax Red Top Ndumbi, Demasoni, Yellow labs, Metriaclima Callainos

Check out the blog on the home page if you haven't already!!!
cichlidaholic

Return to Lake Malawi Species