Lake Malawi Species • Help with Peacocks

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Help with Peacocks

Postby netjets2k » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:17 am

I have a 55 gal tank which I just converted to a Peacock tank. I got a Cobue, Albino and one "mystery" fish. He has much the same blue tone as the Cobue but has Yellow coloring on the tips of the Dorsal and tail fin. He's actually the larger of the 3 and also the one I never see. The albino has turned out to be very aggressive and doesn't seem to let the other 2 eat. I don't know if I can take him back or not but would other tank mates help out? I was thinking the Albino wouldn't have more fish to worry about hence giving everyone a chance to eat. it would also be nice to see the yellow tipped Peacock as he is quite pretty to look at. Any Advise would be most helpful

Steve
[/img]
netjets2k

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby hollyfish2000 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:25 am

Can you be a bit more specific? An albino "what"? They have albino eureka reds, ruby reds, jakes, sunshines . . . all have a bit different personality. Are you also sure it's a peacock?

I'm unfamiliar with the Cobue.

You should be able to locate the mystery peacock in the profile section.

Three peacocks in a 55 gallon is very few. You might try adding some more, if your cycle can handle it. You might also try rearranging rocks, or adding rocks, to break up the aggression. When all else fails, take the aggressor back to the LFS.

You don't mention what you're feeding, but I find with shyer fish, it's better to go with flake, which spreads around the tank and gives everyone a better chance than with sinkning pellets, which can be hogged by the most aggressive at times.

Good luck.
hollyfish2000

Postby netjets2k » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:48 pm

These are the fish in qiestion. I WAS hoping that adding more fish might take care of the problem. I do feed them flake food but to get them enough I'm afraid of adding too much food so, anyway I'm planning a trip to the LFS tomorrow and was hoping you guys/gals would have some opions before I gp.

This is the Cobue

This is the Albino something or other, The profiles here didn't even say

This is my Fish Doe as I have no idea what he is.

netjets2k

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:02 pm

Your albino appears to be of mixed lineage, but I am not sure which. It doesn't look like an albino eureka, but more like one of the new "dragon blood" types.

Your Fish Doe could be several fish, but it is hard to tell from the dark image. Look up Ruben or Ruby Red as one possibility, and Lwanda as another.
Come join us at the Madison Area Aquatic Hobbyists (MAAH) meeting. http://madisonaquatichobby.com/
Current project: spawning Paretroplus kieneri
Dave

Postby netjets2k » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:11 pm

Dave wrote:Your Fish Doe could be several fish, but it is hard to tell from the dark image. Look up Ruben or Ruby Red as one possibility, and Lwanda as another.

it's hard to get a good picture of him because he's always hiding :( His body is mostly Blue under light with a slight amber hue
netjets2k

Postby Rift485 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:37 pm

I would say that is definitely a Lwanda Peacock in the bottom shot, although the yellow in the tail is more than I've seen for that species.
Rift485

Postby Afishionado » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:34 pm

Rift485 wrote:I would say that is definitely a Lwanda Peacock in the bottom shot, although the yellow in the tail is more than I've seen for that species.

I agree 100% about it being a lwanda. The pic is dark, but the amount of yellow in the tail does not look unusual to me.
Afishionado

Postby netjets2k » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:10 pm

Afishionado wrote:
Rift485 wrote:I would say that is definitely a Lwanda Peacock in the bottom shot, although the yellow in the tail is more than I've seen for that species.

I agree 100% about it being a lwanda. The pic is dark, but the amount of yellow in the tail does not look unusual to me.

Well I think you may be right. but he sure is blue

netjets2k

Postby hollyfish2000 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:06 pm

The "albino" isn't really an albino, though, since he doesn't have pink eyes. He does look like the so-called "dragon's blood" peacocks. The blue with the yellow edge of his dorsal is a very attractive fish. Definitely all peacocks.
hollyfish2000

Return to Lake Malawi Species