Lake Malawi Species • Aggression; Options

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Aggression; Options

Postby usnthem » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:26 am

Good day Everyone;

Having a problem with a yellow-lab's aggression/bullying. In Sept/Nov he chased and killed a y-lab. At that time there was just the 3 of them, it was going to happen. Over time I added more fish, see make-up below. For the last several months his behaviour has been typical a chase here and there. Some what letting all tanks mates know who is the boss. But then all of a sudden, 3 days ago, he really turned up the juice and without prejudice took to one of the other labs, which passed away this morning. My question to you everyone is, what do you beleive should be my next move? Buy more y-labs, net just him and replace him, net all the y-lab's and replace with more peacocks or other type?
As always I welcome your feed-back.

Tank make up:
Aquarium: 65 Gal H (36Wx18Dx24H), tank cycled 24th September, 2007.
Current Fish: 5 various peacocks (sizes 3 - 5 inches) & four (was five yesterday) yellow-labs (4 inches) (one holding, her second time).
~Michael
COME BE A STAR IN AIDEN'S ARMY!
http://walk.jdrf.org/walker.cfm?id=86712247
usnthem

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby dtress3 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:25 pm

I would bump your numbers of yellow labs to 6. If your dominant one gets too aggressive with another fish resulting in severe injury or death, then I would remove him. Typically labs are more peaceful, but they are still mbuna.
dtress3

Postby DJRansome » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:38 pm

I think I would take all the labs out, since it is a 36" tank and see if the peacocks do better on their own. At minimum I would remove that male since he is a proven troublemaker.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species