Lake Malawi Species • Hap/Peacock Blend for a 125L

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Hap/Peacock Blend for a 125L

Postby VinnySem » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:57 pm

I'm getting a new 125L, and I want to do a Hap/Peacock blend. I have some C. Borleyi already that I want to incorporate. With those, I would also like:

P.Taeniolatus "Red Empress"
Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Lemon Jake"
Aulonocara stuartgranti "Mdoka Flametail"

How many fish all-told should I plan for a 125?

Is there possible cross-breeding with these species, if I happen to get both males and females? Is 1M/2F an acceptable ratio, or should I shoot for 1 pair of each?
I'd be happier if my wife wanted more fish tanks instead of more dogs. Can't step in fishypoop when mowing the lawn :x
VinnySem

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DJRansome » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:37 pm

Peacocks will cross breed, to avoid this do all-male or single species tank when keeping peacocks. Also, Malawi don't pair, so if you get females you need at least 2-3 for every male.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby F8LBITEva » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:05 pm

I've had great success with all male peacocks and haps. I also have a nice C Borleyi and everyone gets along fine. Couple little chases here and there but for the most part its been trouble free and lots of color.
F8LBITEva

Postby VinnySem » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:18 pm

Well, I'd like to do some breeding, my LFS takes all my fry in exchange for food & supplies, and I'd get good $ for pure peacock fry. How about just the Borleyi, Red Empress, and just the Lemon Jakes to get some yellow in there?
I'd be happier if my wife wanted more fish tanks instead of more dogs. Can't step in fishypoop when mowing the lawn :x
VinnySem

Return to Lake Malawi Species