Lake Malawi Species • Help me understand

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Help me understand

Postby mhenderson5581 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:47 pm

I have heard that a water will possibly make my demasoni breed. If that is the case, is there something special that I need to do while putting the water in. Maybe simulate rain or something :-? . Please help me understand.
mhenderson5581

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby RedHaze » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:16 pm

From what I understand is that having the water slightly cooler than your normal tank temps at water changes simulates the rainy season which triggers spawning in the lakes. But I've found, in my limited experience, keeping the water quality up is the real key. Along with the right ratios of fish.
RedHaze

Postby Timkat4867 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:10 am

Yes this is true.

In my tank, I do a 25% to 50% water change once a week, and I notice that imediately after I finish,
the males start courting the females.

They had fry last week.
Timkat4867

Postby DJRansome » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:14 am

Even a same temperature water change seems to make them very perky and happy. It's not how it's added, it's just that it's fresh and clean. If you try a lower temperature, don't go lower by more than a degree or two. You don't want ich!
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby copasetic » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:07 am

DJRansome wrote:If you try a lower temperature, don't go lower by more than a degree or two. You don't want ich!

other post's say that this is not the cause for ich... glad someone understands what it is!
copasetic

Postby DJRansome » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:27 am

Well the ich lifeform is the cause and stress makes the fish susceptible. Other things can cause stress. but change in water temperature in a downward direction seems a common theme, especially if you are getting ich when no new fish have been introduced to the tank.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby jhunbj » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:07 am

I'd say frequent WC will make those fish horny as #%$&. :lol: Last month, during the March break, I tried to do WC twice in a week.....2 days after the last WC, 3 of my M. Maingano, 2 of my P. Demasoni and 1 of my YL were holding. :lol: Problem is I only have 2 10G quarantine tank already set-up, so I had to use my 20G that house my sisters goldfish. Bye bye goldfish.... :lol: Oh and forget about the water temp., just increase the frequency of the WC. :thumb:
90G: C.Salvini,M.Estherae,Ps. Polit,1M Ps. E.Chailosi, Cyno.Afra Jalo Reef & White Top, Ps. Longior, M. Maingano, Hap. sp 44 and 5 Syno.Pet
75G: 15 Ps.Demasoni, 13YL, 12 M.Cyaneorhabdos & 6 Syno.Pet
jhunbj

Return to Lake Malawi Species