Lake Malawi Species • Fishy dilema; what do I do?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Postby DMWave45 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:00 pm

If it's that long of a trip I would just have them shipped. Less effort on your part and the stock quality should be good.
DMWave45

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Shades9323 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:10 pm

Anybody know about the quality stock of old world exotics?
Shades9323

Postby stslimited84 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:22 pm

Shades9323 wrote:Anybody know about the quality stock of old world exotics?

Just to save the mods the trouble, they are gonna reply by saying that reviews are not allowed in the forum. Please check out the reviews in the review section as there is alot of useful information in that section.

Something to that effect. I personally havent bought from them, but there are a couple of other vendors that were highly reviewed that I bought from.

HTH :thumb:
stslimited84

Postby Shades9323 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:32 pm

stslimited84 wrote:

Just to save the mods the trouble, they are gonna reply by saying that reviews are not allowed in the forum. Please check out the reviews in the review section as there is alot of useful information in that section.

Something to that effect. I personally havent bought from them, but there are a couple of other vendors that were highly reviewed that I bought from.

Only problem with that is that I didn't see them in the reviews sections as I think they are a wholesaler and not a retailer. Gotta get a review from somewhere.
Shades9323

Postby stslimited84 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:34 pm

Shades9323 wrote:
stslimited84 wrote:

Only problem with that is that I didn't see them in the reviews sections as I think they are a wholesaler and not a retailer. Gotta get a review from somewhere.

No worries, I was just saying what was going to be said anyway, lol. I have no experience with them in particular, but maybe somebody else could pm you with some info about them.

gl :)
stslimited84

Postby cichlidaholic » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:36 pm

stslimited84 wrote:Just to save the mods the trouble, they are gonna reply by saying that reviews are not allowed in the forum. Please check out the reviews in the review section as there is alot of useful information in that section.

Something to that effect.

:thumb:

:D

You got it!

I prefer picking my fish up - I like to see them before I buy them, and to be honest, with that time frame, it probably won't be any more stressful for the fish than them being shipped.

But...If they are shipped and something happens, it's going to be the responsibility of the shipper, not you!

Kim
110G - Perspicax Red Top Ndumbi, Demasoni, Yellow labs, Metriaclima Callainos

Check out the blog on the home page if you haven't already!!!
cichlidaholic

Postby Shades9323 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:55 pm

[quote="cichlidaholic]

I prefer picking my fish up - I like to see them before I buy them, and to be honest, with that time frame, it probably won't be any more stressful for the fish than them being shipped.

But...If they are shipped and something happens, it's going to be the responsibility of the shipper, not you!

Kim[/quote]

How would you go about getting them home? I would pick them up on Saturday morning. Drive 2 hours to my father-in-laws house. Stay the night and the next day there. Then drive 3 hours back to my house. Not to mention I would have 2 dogs with me on the way home.

On the other hand, I could use that time to go explore some new single track on my new mountain bike. Dilema, dilema.
Shades9323

Postby stslimited84 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:22 pm

cichlidaholic wrote:
:D

You got it!

Kim

I prefer to pick mine up as well. I like seeing my fish before I buy them :)
stslimited84

Postby QHgal » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:55 pm

I like to see the fish before I buy them, but then again, if I'm getting them from someone I know or have dealt with before and know the quality of their stock then I'll have them shipped. In fact, most of my fish I have I have gotten through shipping. Seem to get better quality that way, the only thing I can find around here is mixed africans or red zebras and labs of poor quality.
QHgal

Postby cichlidaholic » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:13 pm

I would put them in a foam cooler with some bag buddies. I would also ask the breeder or LFS to refrain from feeding them for 2 days prior to picking them up.

Or, you can order them, but ask for pics first!

Kim
110G - Perspicax Red Top Ndumbi, Demasoni, Yellow labs, Metriaclima Callainos

Check out the blog on the home page if you haven't already!!!
cichlidaholic

Postby Dewdrop » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:11 pm

Unless you'd really like to see your father-in-law, I'd ask them to e-mail me pics of the fish then have them shipped. That way they will be replaced if anything happens. You said you would be spending most of the next day there ? at the in- laws before the 3 hr trip back? Just sounds like a long time to me. Good luck, whatever you decide.
Dewdrop
55g. mainly malawi mbuna tank, 29g. N. brichardi & pleco, 20g. grow out, 10g. fry, 10g. quarantine/hospital, 1.5g. 1st. stage fry/misc., 1.5g. snails & ghost shrimp
Dewdrop

Postby Shades9323 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:42 am

Still not sure what to do about getting the fish. If I have them shipped, I will probably have to wait a month to get them, and those would come from oldworldexotics if Florida. If I pick them up, I have 2 options for fish bred in Michigan. One option is a private breeder that I have bought from before when I lived closer to that area. The other is a LFS/hatchery.

Moving on! :D Filtration for these guys. I currently have a new AC 70(100-300gph) and an older AC 150(150max) on the tank. Will this be enough? Or should I pick up a another bigger AC?
Shades9323

Previous

Return to Lake Malawi Species