Lake Malawi Species • Demasoni swimmig against the glass.

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Demasoni swimmig against the glass.

Postby Exodus1500 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:11 am

Hello all. I recently switch my demasoni tank over from a 45g to a 90g. It has 13 demasoni in it, 1 adult and 12 juveniles/sub adults, 5 juvenile Ps. flavus, and 3 A. comps.

The 90g basically features 4 stuctures, which I figured would give the dominant fish their own places rather than fighting over 1-2.

Well, it sort of worked... each pile has has 1 (at most 2) demasoni per structure, and the A. comps just kind of hang out where ever. The problem is the rest of the demasoni and flavus are all huddled on one end of the tank and constantly swim up and down the glass. They all appear to be subdominants or females judging from their size. Do I need to add more demasoni to the tank do you think?
125g
Haps, Peacocks,Senegalus Bichir, Hap. sp. "Flameback"
90g - 13 Ps. Demasoni, 3 gold A. Comp, 5 Ps. Flavus, 1 Lab
Exodus1500

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby cichlidaholic » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:56 am

How long ago did you make the switch? They may still be getting used to their surroundings.

You certainly have room for more demasoni, if you have good filtration!

I think I would be sorely tempted to add another species rather than more dems, like Yellow labs, just for more colour in the tank. (I know Yellow labs have been done to death, but you'd be surprised how much they can add to a tank full of blue fish!)

Kim
110G - Perspicax Red Top Ndumbi, Demasoni, Yellow labs, Metriaclima Callainos

Check out the blog on the home page if you haven't already!!!
cichlidaholic

Postby MalawiLover » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:49 am

You may also want to increase the amount of hiding space. All the ones left out in the cold are trying to srim "over there" and out of the tank to find hidy holes for them selves.

I found it didn't work very well to have multiple separate structures. The most di=ominat couple of fish would take an entire structure for themselves( individual towers have very definite territorrial boundries) and not body else could get near it. With a larger "wall" of rock (with some projections dticking out to break line of site across the tank) seem to blens the terrotiroial edges and lets the less dominant fish get a place to sleep.
125gMale peacocks/haps
95g-Malawi Mbuna
55g-Mixed community
30g-x2 Grow out
12.5g-Fry
IS YOUR DECHLORINATOR WORKING??
MalawiLover

Postby DMWave45 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:57 am

Whenever I add fish to a tank they all seem to huddle together for about an hour and swim up and down in a corner, then they go to another corner. After that they are completely normal.
DMWave45

Postby Exodus1500 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:17 pm

MalawiLover wrote:You may also want to increase the amount of hiding space. All the ones left out in the cold are trying to srim "over there" and out of the tank to find hidy holes for them selves.

I found it didn't work very well to have multiple separate structures. The most di=ominat couple of fish would take an entire structure for themselves( individual towers have very definite territorrial boundries) and not body else could get near it. With a larger "wall" of rock (with some projections dticking out to break line of site across the tank) seem to blens the terrotiroial edges and lets the less dominant fish get a place to sleep.

I should have enough left over to make some it into one large structure. I will probably try and give that a shot.

DMWave45 wrote:Whenever I add fish to a tank they all seem to huddle together for about an hour and swim up and down in a corner, then they go to another corner. After that they are completely normal.

I was hoping that was the case, but it has been 4 days now.
125g
Exodus1500

Postby MalawiLover » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:25 pm

Exodus1500 wrote:

Not everybody has the Einsteins on the fish world in their tank.
125gMale peacocks/haps
95g-Malawi Mbuna
55g-Mixed community
30g-x2 Grow out
12.5g-Fry
MalawiLover

Postby Exodus1500 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:56 pm

MalawiLover wrote:
Exodus1500 wrote:

Not everybody has the Einsteins on the fish world in their tank.

I suppose I don't grasp your comment. are you saying it may take longer than 4 days for them to get used to their surroundings?
125g
Exodus1500

Postby cichlidaholic » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:05 pm

Exodus1500 wrote:
I suppose I don't grasp your comment. are you saying it may take longer than 4 days for them to get used to their surroundings?

You got it! :thumb:

I wouldn't expect fish to settle in completely for a couple of weeks!

Good luck!

Kim

cichlidaholic

Postby MalawiLover » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:18 pm

I was actually making a bit of a joke about your fishes' intelligence. Meaning that some fish may take longer to realize they are in a box. I would not worry.

I have a couple of yellow labs who have the odd habbit of swimming up to the surface and just staring at the lights for like 15 minutes, then swim away like nothing ever happened and go about the rest of their day perfectly normally. They do this every morning when the lights first come on. It's like they are say to each other "Look, there it is again. Are you a friend?"
I joke that they are my Jerry's kids.
125gMale peacocks/haps
95g-Malawi Mbuna
55g-Mixed community
30g-x2 Grow out
12.5g-Fry
MalawiLover

Postby Exodus1500 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:30 pm

They still do it every once in a while. I have decided that they are trying to follow their daddys example and want to stay fit. hahah

They do do it less now though, so what ever... as long as they are distracted from killing each other they can do what ever they want.. hahaha

Oh, and I think that my lab is metally retarded too. It often stares at the surface, then lunges its head out like it is trying to grab something... It is actually doing it right now as I type this.
125g
Exodus1500

Postby cichlidaholic » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:28 am

Any food stuck to the hood or covering over the lights? I had an oscar that knocked itself out once trying to get a pellet that was stuck to the hood. :o

Kim

cichlidaholic

Postby Exodus1500 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:16 pm

right now, the hood on my 90 gallon consists of a piece of leftover oak plywood laying on top of it... hahaha.... maybe it things it sees something... I find it quite humorous to watch.
125g
Exodus1500

Return to Lake Malawi Species