Lake Malawi Species • Inbreeding

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Postby MalawiLover » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:11 pm

24Tropheus wrote:Well I guess we agree on that one for mouth brooders. :)
I still think there is a place for WC fish. But not to improve bad stock. (sorry if I suggested this not my intention) 8)
Sadly nearly all the stock of aquarium Malawi cichlids here is so very poor, I think its best to start again with WC.
Most of the fish available are
1 Not pure.
2 Bred by folk with small tanks and small numbers of fish. (often containing multiple species or regional types)
3 Cheap imports of poorly bred fish (no selection)
or
4 Stripped lines.

It would take many generations of good breeding to make anything good out of this mess.

I am not sure what you mean by #4, but the rest sounds like you have hit it on the head. Without serious culling, and some bringing in of healthy blood to correct the rampant flaws in many aquarium strain, those aquarium starins of some species are going to burn themselves out. If only we had all know about this 20 or 30 years ago, all the fish at the LFS would be amazing..
125gMale peacocks/haps
95g-Malawi Mbuna
55g-Mixed community
30g-x2 Grow out
12.5g-Fry
IS YOUR DECHLORINATOR WORKING??
MalawiLover

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Number6 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:10 pm

24Tropheus
Totally agree! Excellent reasons for buying WC or F1... I might even be so bold as to say that those are the only reasons I can mentally justify paying for WCs.
My WC cichlids are gonna be caught on rod n reel!
Number6

Postby Kanorin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:32 pm

I had posted another thread about inbreeding genetics and someone kindly pointed me here, so I'll dredge this one up rather than having the same discussion over again.

It seems that breeding cichlid lines over a few generations should not be a problem, as far as fitness and health go, so long as any "misfits" can be culled by the breeder.

However I have also come to this conclusion. Given wild caught Fish A,B,C,D -which are all the same species, the F5+ (5+ generations of inbreeding) offspring from wild caught Fish A and Fish B may be quite a bit different from the F5+ offspring from wild caught Fish C and Fish D. I suspect that there are two ways to look at this:
1) This line variation makes each strain somewhat unique, thus desirable. This also rewards "good breeders."
2) This line variation is unnatural and neither of the inbred strains are truly representative of the wild species.

That being said, buying a male from source X and female(s) from source Y is not natural either. The only way to achieve natural breeding and genetics is to leave them in the lake! (But that's not fun for us :P )
Kanorin

Postby Number6 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:46 pm

Kanorin, inbreeding helps to fix traits... those traits can be the "wild look"... it all depends on what is selected for by both fish and the person controlling the bloodline.
My WC cichlids are gonna be caught on rod n reel!
Number6

Previous

Return to Lake Malawi Species